What's new

too quick a rise in RH?

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
good evening brothers. i have a question. i was having some humidity problems with my small desktop humi. i have the 65% heartfelt beads (in the 4oz tube) with my humi basically full to the brim. i have a digital hygro/thermo which was showing a slightly lower RH % than i was getting previously. i just calibrated the hygro a few weeks ago by the way. i did the drop lid test and the dollar bill test and they both seemed good but again, the humidity was reading around 58-60. i was at target tonight and picked up a nice tupperware container. i put my sticks and beads (and the spanish cedar divider from my desktop) in there and within an hour the humidity reading was up to 66-68. is this too quick a rise in too short of a time? i know the changes you make in storage should be done as slow as possible, but this i couldn't help. i just want to put my mind at ease that i didn't cause too much damage. i DID open the lid and squeeze a few sticks and they seemed okay... what do you think?

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I say firsttake into consideration the cigars need to adapt their RH, which takes time. Also remember thatRH changes with temperature changes,so bear that in mind. Since it went up I won't tell ye to season correctly, but give it time. Some hours or days and check again.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Cigars absorb moisture as you know and a lot of times when you first put them into a humidor they may not be properly humidified as a result they draw in the excess moisture and the reading on your hygrometer goes down, I would wet the beads a little and check back in a day or two.

As Moro said, if the temperature/weather has changed in your part that may be one of the reasons you're experiences a humidity change. With that said I don't think the humidity in your tupperware container is a dramatic shift from your humi, your sticks should be just fine.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
So you are worried about a possible 6 point change in humidity? Dude, you have to learn to relax.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
not so much a 6 point change overall, but a 6 point change too quickly. thats why i asked if it was a big deal. i can see now that it's not. thanks.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Cigars are pretty resilliant actually I think you'll be just fine! Now if they were sitting at that high humidity for over a week I would dry box for a day or 2 before smoking otherwise might be a little bitter.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
thanks guys.. its already pretty stable where i want it now so i do think they'll be okay. i plan on lighting up a stick tonight (one of the tats that joe passed along to me actually). im so excited, i can't wait to get outta work!