What's new

Troubles with HygroSet II

Rating - 98%
52   1   0
So I purchased a rectangular HygroSetII for my humi and Im having major troubles adjusting/calibrating it. I feel like i might be being to particular, but I'd like it to work as its supposed to. I have it in a ziploc bag with a 65% Boveda Pack (brand new) So I leave it in over night and say it reads 73% so i turn the knob 8 clicks the left (without even opening or taking the hygro/boveda out of the bag) and press the reset button, well when ever I do this it will sometimes change only 2% or some sometimes like 15%

Thoughts?

Got it from HCM by the way

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
First problem is only waiting 24 hours. Wait 48 hours. Also, make sure you have this set-up in a temperature STABLE place in your house. Chances are you aren't going to be able to put it somewhere that the temp never changes, but you want somewhere that the changes will be minimal.

That being said, those clicks can be "muddy". Go slow when changing.

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
I use this exact same hygrometer in both of my small desktop humidor's & I've never had a problem with either. I agree that you should wait a full 48 hours before calibrating. Also, like others have said, a stable temp is a must.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had much luck with these - hard to adjust and seem to break after a year or so. Just my opinion but I think the Western Caliber 111 is much better - not adjustable but I just measure when I first get it and if it is off, I just write the difference on it.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Try taking out of the bag to adjust and really going slow on the adjustment. Really feel the click for each percentage point you want adjusted. I've had the issue you note, but it isn't consistent across all of the hygrosets I've had. Some are more "mushy" on the adjustments than others.

I do admit, I don't think these things are of the highest quality, but they get the job done. I wouldn't mind one that was more solidly built, even if it did cost a bit more.

Keep in mind that the Xikar ones need a specific humidity. You can't just use any old humidipak, it has to be the 75% one. That's the one that comes in the calibration kit, but just wanted to note that fact. That's the main reason I prefer the Hygrosets, I can adjust them using a humidipak that I can then actually use for storage as well.