What's new

Tupperdor and seasoning cedar inside

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I'm fairly new to this and have done much research on making my ow tupperdor. I've recently purchased some empty spanish cedar boxes that I plan on using to hold my cigars. Also, I picked up a couple boveda 69 packs as my humidification device. Hygrometer on its way.

My question is should I put the empty cigar boxes in the tupperdor and the boveda packs in for a week to season the wood? Should I lightly mist and wipe down the boxes with distilled water before placing them in? How long should I keep it sealed for? I know we can't season the tippers or itself but more concerned with the wooden boxes I chose to hold my sticks. Any help would be appreciated.

Happy smoking!

Smoqman

BoM Aug. 2014
Rating - 100%
278   0   0
Welcome, first - head over to the Introductions thread and and ....well.... introduce yourself.

Next, if you do a search in the Storage section of this Forum, you'll find endless information on how to do just what you're inquiring about.

Cheers,

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Welcome, first - head over to the Introductions thread and and ....well.... introduce yourself.

Next, if you do a search in the Storage section of this Forum, you'll find endless information on how to do just what you're inquiring about.

Cheers,
+1

Until then.....
1. Take a deep breath
2. Put Boveda in tupper
3. Put cigars in tupper
4. Close tupper
5. Exhale
6. Have a cigar

*****Unless the teck in your name implies engineer of some sort. Well...then, I guess you have little choice other than to make this exceedingly complicated....

J/K.....relax and smoke a good one
:)

Welcome.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I second with Smoqman.

but a quick note, now i dont know the condition of your boxes but i am sure that they are probably dry, so just wipe them down with distilled water and then put them in empty in tuperware with a small dish of water and hydrometer and get where you want. then put in sticks and boveda.

but also check out the storage secction here, there are tons of thread with info that is probably more knowledgeable than I.

and welcome.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
just wipe them down with distilled water and then put them in empty in tuperware with a small dish of water and hydrometer and get where you want. then put in sticks and boveda.
This. You don't have to worry about any warping or anything, just wipe the wood down to saturate it, put it in with a small dish of water, and wait until the rH rises to where you want it, then pull out the water.

One thing to note, 69% is higher than most of us want to smoke our cigars. To each their own, but generally the BOTL collective steers more towards 65%, and even lower for Cubans or heavy sticks like Tatuajess or Liga Privadas.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just to update. I've got the tupperdor up and running with about 65rH and holding well. I forgot to mention its a 20qt sterilite gasket box. It's got a meager amout of sticks in it but I expect the rH to raise significantly when my order comes in. Cheers fellas!