What's new

tupperdor... where I'm at

DevonS

Busted Mailbox
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First official post, other than the intro!

I was at Walmart this morning and picked up the 4L Lock & Lock container and a National Geographic digital Thermo/Hygro. I washed out the container, put a battery in the unit and threw in a box of 5 Montecristo's (probably fake, I don't know) that I picked up in Mexico. I didn't even crack the box yet. I need to pick up a Boveda pack here locally if I can... eBay if I can't.

So temp/rh is at 70.0/34. Super low RH I think, but it's damn cold and dry up here in Canada. Any tips for me after seeing my current/proposed setup?

Question: If the cigars I bought were sitting in their box on the counter for 3 weeks and got "dried out", will having them in the humidor fix 'em up or are the crap once they've been dry for too long?

BTW, since I can't post links yet, the therm/hygro unit can be seen at (put the web stuff here)cabelas.com/digital-weather-instruments-national-geographic-indoor-hygrometer-comfort-scale.shtml?WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=thefind&WT.z_mc_id1=1203631&rid=40&mr:referralID=84da11a4-55a5-11e1-b7d1-001b2166c62d

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
You can nurse a dried cigar back to health with time. An over humidified one is the more difficult of the two problems. Give them time, I would recommend picking up the lowest RH boveda, with cigars, it's best to take things slow. Work your way up to the desired humidity. 65% is the lowest level they make. It's also the RH a lot of us prefer.

DevonS

Busted Mailbox
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the info MM. I'll look for 65-ers.

If I can't find them locally and have to go eBay there's the possibility they will freeze. Will freezing a boveda kill it?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boveda ships packs every day. If there was a problem, they would have fixed it.

Just order online and you'll be fine.

DevonS

Busted Mailbox
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I ordered some "small" packs on eBay. Guess I'll see how that goes. In the mean time I tossed in a crust of bread to bring up the humidity. sitting at 54% @ 67F and climbing.

DevonS

Busted Mailbox
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yup. I didn't know they were fake when I bought them, but had my suspicions. That's part of why I'm here... to learn how to determine the counterfeit ones. Is there a good thread for that somewhere here? I'll admit I haven't searched that yet.

As for the tupperdor, I used window caulking on the outside to seal it up. Should do the trick.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yup. I didn't know they were fake when I bought them, but had my suspicions. That's part of why I'm here... to learn how to determine the counterfeit ones. Is there a good thread for that somewhere here? I'll admit I haven't searched that yet.

As for the tupperdor, I used window caulking on the outside to seal it up. Should do the trick.
Hey, we've all had our run ins with fakes. Nothing to be embarrassed about brother! :smile:

Look around here & you'll find out the red flags in no time...

Skitalets

Laguito No. 2
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Glad to hear it. Often tough to hear but we want to make sure folks get accurate information from the forum. :)

This site is the best I know for information about Habanos brands/bands/packaging and so forth: http://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
You can get great results from tupperware. Get the type that has a little rubber ring in the lid. They hold humidity steady like a mofo.

Don't feel bad about the Monty's...I bought a fake Cohiba fiver when I was new to cigars and I paid $100 for it :)

DevonS

Busted Mailbox
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, if I can find some real ones locally I'll buy one and have a basis for comparison. Sometimes a knockoff can be ok too. If they're at least smokable then I'll chalk it up to experience. I picked this box up for about $25.

So... is there a "noobs start smoking here" list? Kind of a general list of beginner sticks and how to progress?

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
You should look into the heartfelt beads as a cheaper humidifying solution. They work with simple distilled water and last forever. Over time, those Boveda packs (which work well don't get me wrong) start getting expensive. A simple $25-30 investment on some beads will last forever. Just my thoughts, as I started down the road of the Boveda packs and then migrated to the beads.

Look to the stickys in this storage forum for great primers on the beads and humidification :thumbsup:

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Well, if I can find some real ones locally I'll buy one and have a basis for comparison. Sometimes a knockoff can be ok too. If they're at least smokable then I'll chalk it up to experience. I picked this box up for about $25.
So... is there a "noobs start smoking here" list? Kind of a general list of beginner sticks and how to progress?
great attitude there! i have had some actually impressive fakes in my day, and if you wind up with something smokable for ~$5 a stick, that is still a win!

there is no real required reading list here, you smoke what you like. we all have favorites, and we are all usually vocal supporters of them. HOPEFULLY will not bash you for getting an unfavored smoke. for myself, padron and fuente are the two classic non-cuban makers. also mad ups for pepin/ jamie garcia made smokes, especially the ones they make for pete (tatuaje et. al.).