What's new

Turning a nice box into storage

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to get my hands on a beautiful cigar box that originally held 100 cigars, and I'm considering lining it and turning it into a humidor. Does anyone have any ideas or has anyone tried to do something like this yet?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have built my own desk top humidor. That was before I moved to a winador. My opinion, for what it's worth, is that you should use the box as a show piece and not as a humidor for long-term storage. A good humidor should be air tight. That is why so many people eventually move to Tupperware, coolers or wine fridges. It is very very difficult to maintain a consistent humidity in wooden boxes unless they have a sophisticated seal at the lid. If you can do that then go for it ..... and lets see a picture !

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I have a montecristo box that I picked up for free from a local B&M. He was going to throw it out with the rest of the boxes. I converted to a humidor for my brother. Works like a charm. I'd recommend getting one of those humi care jars that break into 4 pieces and put them in each corner of the box. Plus get yourself a decent hydrometer too to see if it'll hold humidity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I think that would be a cool idea. I am all for DIY stuff. If there is a way to put a thin (3/4mm) weatherproofing strip around the edges and still be able to clasp it shit, you should be golden.

I would say you should go for it!!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a weatherproofing strip in and was able to latch both latches, and tossed three 84% bovidas in, unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be holding the humidity very well. Show piece/ accessory holder shall be its second life.

sirhchris

If no fit put spit
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple of Cohiba Sublime boxes that hold 20-some pieces each. I usually just keep the cigars in Ziploc bags with bovedas 69 in them. Seems to work fine....for now.