What's new

Understuffed Humi?

Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I'm expecting my new humidor in the mail (Yay!) and I have a question. I know people say they regulate humidity best when they're around 75% full, but mine will be around 1/3 full. I'm moving from a 100ct + tupperware to a 4-500 ct.

What's the drawback to having it less full (other than just having less cigars :))? Is it necessary for me to put some boxes in there to take up room, or does it not really matter when talking about a humi this size?

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
the largest problem I'm aware of is the loss of humidity from accessing the cigars.

for example, if you are getting a big cabinet or wineador, etc., if it is mostly filled with moist air (low on cigars/boxes), whenever you open the door you lose that air and the fresh air has to rehumidify, causing a lengthened recovery period. if it is mostly wood (i.e. boxes, drawers, shelves, or even cigars), which will release humidity materially slower than air, the recovery period is less in duration and severity as the humidity doesn't need to build as much.

hopefully I explained that well enough to makes sense.

there may be other reasons, but this is what I've always thought.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Orange Dog said it well.

What I did when seasoning my new "small cabinet, was after a bout a week of seasoning it, I added a bunch of empty cigar boxes, and seasoned them as well. I did season those boxes, whil open, so the humidity got to the insode of those boxes also. I did this because I knew there would be quite a bit of empty space in there.

In your case, you may want to devote an empty box or two for single storage. I keep several boxes in my humi as organized storage for single cigars. I am not sure what your humi looks like, but by putting 10 sticks in a 25 count box, you are able to get a nice humidified environment in that particular box, that is not affected much by the opening of the humidor.