What's new

Unsure what to do about new humidor, hygrometer issues

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'm new here so I'm hoping I'm putting this in the right spot. Anyways, I recently decided to start smoking cigars again, and before would buy them on the spot and smoke them that night, this time I went the humidor route so I can buy boxes at a time and save a little.

I have seasoned the humidor so far by rubbing the cedar down with distilled water once, left the sponge in on a zip lock bag, then left closed for 24 hours, then repeated a second time, but without leaving the sponge in. The issue comes down to the hygrometer. It came with a crappy analogue one, that I recently noticed doesn't travel anywhere outside of the 40-60% RH range. I can adjust the screw all day and it won't go any further than that range.

So I've already gone ahead and ordered some 65% Heartfelt beads in the 2.25" round plastic tray to replace the foam and propylene glycol solution and their round adjustable digital hygrometer to fit in the original analogue hygrometer space. Unfortunately, this won't ship until 6/6/09 since they're closed which is close to 2 weeks from now. The problem is, I already have a handful of nice cigars that I picked up, as well as a JR cigars special of Romeo y Julieta Habana Reserve's that I wanted to put in the humidor.

So the only place near me that sells a digital hygrometer is Radioshack (believe it or not, the cigar store around here only carries analogue ones that were insanely expensive). I bought the $20 one they offered (only one) and have done the salt + distilled water in plastic bag calibration with it, and it stays steady at 63%RH.

Long story short, would you guys trust this hygrometer for 2 weeks until the good one gets here? -12% seems a ways off of where it should be and I'm not sure if I should trust it. If not, what would you do, leave the cigars out of the humidor, or put them in it? I'm at a standstill here and don't know what to do so please help a newbie out.

--Jeff

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
I would not trust the hygro.

Few things though.

NEVER wipe liquid in a humidor. Slower and longer is the way to go. Try filling a shot glass half full and leave closed for 3-5 days until proper RH is achieved.

If you just bought cigars from a store most likely they are over humidified. You can store them in a good sealing Tupperwear container till the bead arrive.

I hope this tips help. Good luck to you Jeff.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, thanks for the info, I'll have to go find some tupperware to store this stuff then. As for wiping the humidor, I found this site and read the primer above a couple days too late. I just blindly followed what the people at the cigar store told me to do and assumed it'd work. Now I know that's not true, but hey we live and we learn I guess. Anyways thanks for the info, I'll have to return this crappy hygrometer and wait it out I suppose.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Your in NY, so the ambient RH should not be an issue this time of the year. Keeping the sticks in a smallish container that seals real good should be fine till the beads arrive. Be sure to go slow with the beads bringing up the RH too. Be sure to check the new hygro accuracy also. Have fun and happy smoking.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and one last question came to mind, should I just leave the humidor open until the beads arrive, or let it stay closed at whatever RH it's at? I'm assuming to open the humidor and start fresh when the beads arrive. Again thanks for the help, I greatly appreciate it.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
If you wiped it down, go ahead and air it out. Then added the beads that are freshly charged a little and add distilled water in the shot glass. Wait till the beads are 75% or so clear (saturated) or the calibrated hygro reached the desired RH.

Remember, only use distilled water for the beads or they will be ruined.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, will do. Thanks for the help. I must say though, who would've thought it'd be so complicated to store cigars in a box. I sure didn't. I'm glad I've given it a go though so I'll always have my favorites on hand. Again, thanks for the help, looks live I've got a lot to learn about the art of storing cigars.
--Jeff

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I didn't want to start a new thread about this, I figured I'd post in here again. I went back to my local B&M and picked up a digital hygrometer, a Caliber III. I was about to do the salt test with it, and just put it in the bag and all then figured I'd read the instructions to see what the two buttons did.

I'll quote from the instructions:
This gauge has been factory calibrated to provide the most accurate display of relative humidity and air temperature available. No further testing will be needed. ... WARNING: This is an electronic instrument. ... DO NOT wrap this gauge in a wet towel to test the accuracy, DO NOT attempt to perform the salt test. ....Should anyone suggest any of the above to test the accuracy of the CALIBER III, we recommend that you run from them immediately.
I found this warning quite interesting. Now, when I put it in my humidor, which I was going to air out and start fresh with, it reads 70.24F/72%. I was looking at Amazon reviews and such and everyone who had tested it with Humidipak and everyone seems dead on. Should I just trust these readings, or go ahead and do the salt calibration anyways?

If this is reading right, that means my humidor is properly seasoned and working as expected and I'd be able to add cigars now, right? For now I'd still be using the old style foam and propylene glycol solution until the beads arrive. So basically I'm asking, should I still perform the salt test, and at 70.24F/72% would I be safe adding my cigars?

Edit: One more thing came to mind, when I do end up adding my cigars, do I take the cellophane wrapper off, or do I leave it on and just open the end as was suggested at the local B&M?

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
Steve is right in regards to not wiping it down with water since that tends to warp the wood. The good news is, it most likely seasoned it though.

The reason why they state not to do the salt test is they don't want some moron spilling the salt into the hygrometer and then trying to send it back as faulty. That being said, I would trust the initial readings for the time being. You will reach a point where you think the cigars are under or over humidified compared to what the hygro is reading. If that happens, just get a humidipak from Ron to test it....more accurate than the salt test.

In regards to the cello on or off....that is your preference. Some keep it on so the sticks don't get damaged from handling and other like it off cuz they look purdy. Your call.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, thanks for the information. I mainly just want to put off the salt test since I already have ordered 65% beads from heartfelt as well as a second adjustable digital hygrometer and a humidipak calibration kit which I'll be using to calibrate both (may as well have two hygrometers since I picked this one up for free since I bought a few sticks.) Anyways, I guess I'll go ahead and fill up the humidor and see where it goes from here. Thanks for the quick response.
-Jeff

kaelaria

CigarObsession.com
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have always wiped my humidors and never had any problems at all. In fact I just did a new one two days ago and put my sticks in this morning. I can certainly see if you go crazy and saturate the thing having issues, but I only wipe until it changes color like staining, and it always works perfectly.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If you have a walmart nearby, they sell a very accurate digital hygrometer.

It's in the thermometer aisle.

Mine was only 3% off.

It should be white and around 6 dollars.

edit - sorry, it seems you found a digital hygrometer already.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well thanks for the help all, looks like things are pretty stable. This hygrometer has a max/min feature and overnight it varied between 69F-70.24F and 69-73%. I thought the RH was a bit high, but now I know why, the propylene glycol solution I have states on the bottle that it will keep a humidor between 70% and 75%, which seems high from all the research I've done. But I've managed to get things stabilized for now, but still can't wait for the 65% beads to come. Just wondering if there's anything special I should take into consideration when I switch over to the beads? Just throw them in in place of the current solution or will I have to do something else?

Edit: Also, if I mix distilled water with the solution and add that, will it lower the RH that it keeps the humidor at? Or will it have unknown results?