What's new

Upkeep on the Mosaic cheapie

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the intro sampler with the humidor, from CI a few months back. I did all the things they said to do with it as far as seasoning it, etc. It had the "mosaic" design with the cigar bands, you probably know the one I am talking about. It had the humidification disk you stick on to the lid.

I don't have a humidifier yet, and I know I need one. I've been noticing that some of the cigars I punch--ends up breaking the cap. I take it that's a clue that I need to do something at this point?

I need to get some fluid and remoisten the disk thingie, is that what I need to do, or borrow somebody's meter to check the humidity?

Give me some ideas here, please. TNX

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
My suggestion would be to re-season it and most definately get an adjustable digital hygrometer (and calibrate it too).

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Those green foam disks are terrible at keeping humidity. Do yourself a favor, reseason the thing properly (with distilled water) and buy a couple (one at a time should do) 65% boveda humidity packs if you are trying to keep it on the cheap. They do what they are meant to do. If you end up sticking with the hobby move to humidity beads. You wont regret it.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
what larry said, plus i would get heartfelt beads. that was my first humi, and it's holding up pretty well after proper seasoning and beads. I have upgraded to a 100-ct and a 52 qt cooler since then, though.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what larry said, plus i would get heartfelt beads. that was my first humi, and it's holding up pretty well after proper seasoning and beads. I have upgraded to a 100-ct and a 52 qt cooler since then, though.
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Sounds reasonable. What's a good budget hygrometer? Could I get one for about $20?

What happened to your humidor, Ron, did it get "pregnant"? Sounds like you had some expansion.