What's new

Using Boveda packs in a wine cooler?

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
In the process of converting my Edgestar 28. Have some customer shelves on order for it, but was trying to debate on exactly what I will use as a humidifer. I have a bunch of boxes of Boveda packs at the house, and also ordered about 4lbs of ConservaGel beads in lieu of Heartfelt Beads.

Seems like most people with coolers prefer using the beads, but do y'all think using individual Boveda packs in the respective drawers will work just as well? I've been using them in my desktop humis and love the results.

Thanks

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
It all depends. How is the humidity in your area? If you are somewhere kinda humid it may not work too bad if you are in very dry area they may have a tough time keeping up. Other thought is how do you recharge them when they dry out? I use them to help balance out in my cabinets and move them around as they recharge or dry out.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
the RH% in my house has been around 50-55% the last few weeks

when mine dry out, i haven't tried to recharge them, just replace them. i picked up a couple boxes on cbid at a steal, so haven't been too worried but over time, Boveda is a pretty expensive solution.

LigaPrivadaFanboy

Unrepentant Hoarder
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I have 120gal and 55gal igloodors. RH indoors is 55% year-round. I used Bovedas at first, then switched to Dr. RH gel humidification. Both get the job done accurately, but the Dr. RH is cheaper IMHO and lasts longer for what I'm doing. Edit: Mostly storing boxes. Bovendas are certainly easier to deal with when storing individual cigars.

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
I use boveda packs in my winador, but that's typically only to recharge my beads. I have a 65 pack in each drawer to aid the beads. Its pretty dry here in MN though.

But for the humidity in your house, I think you will have an easier time keeping up than I would. The long term costs might be more than the bead option though. Just my $0.02

rduke10

AKA Dookie
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
I'm using a couple pounds of the heartfelt beads in my Edgestar 28. Had it for almost a year now and I love them. I don't have to worry about replacing them and haven't had to recharge them but a few times. It's almost a set and forget solution. I live in South MS and the summer is the only time I have to really check on them. Just my .02.