What's new

Using My Old Refridgerator As A Humidor

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Guys, My wife made me unplug our fridge in the basement to save on electric bill. Do you think I can use the freezer to make a humidor to store boxes? Some friends think the air in a fridge would be too stale and kill the cigars. The fridge is 13 years old. I would plan to use beads to keep at 65%. Thanks

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
It has been done but u will need to do a few things.

1) Clean it out with bleach water, then wipe it out again with water and let it dry. check for smells if you smell anything, repeat.

2) If you plan on plugging it back in a temp controller to keep temp 60* or above. A Johnson controller from a brewing supplier seems to be the #1 choice. This will also help on the electric bill.

3) Use beads or a Cigar oasis to humidify depending on size, # of boxes stored in the fridge. More boxes = more stabile, empty boxes will also help.

I have a friend who uses a chest freezer with no problems and after purchasing a Johnson controller and Cigar oasis for temp control leaves it unplugged except during the hottest summer months.

Good Luck
Rob

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Rob, it will always be unplugged. I'll buy a new $200 fridge from lowes that will be energy efficient. Thanks again!

BEN(SWEDEN)

Bockbrännarbolmers
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I know a dussin people that use old fridges...works perfekt just clean it out and let it dry, fill it with beads....

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
If you can keep it in an area where the temperature is stable-you should be set by leaving it unplugged. I'd just open it on occasion to let in fresh air. Maybe some fans to help distribute the humidity if you want to star modifying it. It's not essentially any different than a coolidor-just takes up more space ( =

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's down in the basement where my desktop humidor & coolidor are. I just ordered 2 Oust fans for it and all I have to do us order beads or Bovida 65% packs. It's 13 yrs. Old and I still have a slight plastic smell when I open the door. I washed it out with bleach & water, and it still has a slight plastic smell. Thanks for the help guys!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wiped it down with bleach a few times, but still has a faint plastic smell to it. I'm probably going to line it with Spanish Cedar. Think it's OK, or should I try something else?