What's new

Ventilation system question

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm looking for a ventilation system for the basement of our new house. The Wife is already complaining about the smell when you come downstairs and I need something to pull the smoke out of 2 rooms with a sq ft. of about 700-800. Any ideas because I'd hate to have to smoke outside especially during winter and hot days.

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
If your main concern is just an exhaust fan, check into the exhaust fans used in bathrooms, shouldn't be too hard to wire one up and get it kicking air out. Might want to place it opposite side of the room from any air from the house so you get a cross draw that moves the smoke out and not just around.

Last edited:

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Mitch is right, the method he suggested would more than likely be the easiest and cheapest.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Now these type fans would require 4 or 6 inch duct from what I've seen. 1 room already has finished ceilings and the other is half finished. Also this is an all brick house so making holes for on exit would be an issue with the wife. Can I hook this type up to the exit where heat from the dryer comes out? I've done framing and other stuff but no experience with electrical or HVAC. I'm sure my dad can do any wiring for electric but is there another solution that requires minimal duct work other than opening a window.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
That would be your other option, a small window fan that has a reverse action, it would draw the smoke outside the house; and you would only have to turn it on when you are smoking downstairs.

It might work to tie it into the same duct work as the dryer exhaust vent.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
do not tie it into the dryer duct or you will have dryer smell in your basement (dryers have to vent out alone by code here). A bath exhaust fan is 80-100 cfm which means it would take 8-10 min to clear the room in the best case.

I have a window fan and it works great for 1 or two smokers in a 15x15 room (225sq ft) if I have a poker game I run a external fan with 4 vents, vented to the outside it will clear the room in a couple mins. This system cost me about $400, I installed it myself including drilling a 6" hole to the outside. I had the drill but rented the core bit locally for $15 to hire this would run $100-150. I would suggest this option.

I smoke inside year round and the kids bedrooms are right above me, they can not smell anything which keeps Big Mama happy and we all know this is the key!!!

Rating - 100%
68   0   1
OP, I have some experiance here. But I'm starting a busy day. Pm me and I'll try to reply tonight. Hope I can help.

funkejj

BoM December 09
Rating - 100%
255   0   0
I own a Eagle 5000 air purifier. It ionizes the air and adds ozone. We can have 10 people smoking in the garage and keep it about half way up and the fan on high and you can not tell there are people smoking. I swear by it. If you want to go the exhaust fan route Home depot sells a bath fan with 270cfm flow and they sucks alot of air for a home style fan. If you go to install something and need help pm me you are not that far down the road.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Were did you get yours funkejj. I think I saw them for about $350 online and I might consider that option. If anything it could be a short term solution and later used upstairs till I get time to do a proper exhaust fan system for the entire downstairs.

funkejj

BoM December 09
Rating - 100%
255   0   0
I got mine from a local rep, they are the best thing in the world, in fact when we had some friends that had a musty basement last week after a water leak we took it over turned it on high and left it for 2 days and came back to a crisp clean smell. They are great and easy to clean. I would not get a exhaust fan system as it will pull and heated or cooled air out. We looked at that and decided to go with this.

Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I got mine from a local rep, they are the best thing in the world, in fact when we had some friends that had a musty basement last week after a water leak we took it over turned it on high and left it for 2 days and came back to a crisp clean smell. They are great and easy to clean. I would not get a exhaust fan system as it will pull and heated or cooled air out. We looked at that and decided to go with this.
Does it keep up with the smoke, i.e if you were indoors, or just clean it up after you are done smoking...

looking for a way to smoke in the basement but do not want the smoke drifting upstairs...

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bath exhaust fan is 80-100 cfm which means it would take 8-10 min to clear the room in the best case.
Unless my math is off, this is a big undershot.

He said about 750 sq. ft, which, for math purposes would be about 25 x 30.

a 25 x 30 room, with an 8 foot ceiling is 6000 cu. ft.

A bathroom vent which does 80 cfm would take about 75 minutes (not 8 - 10) to clear out a full room.

I would probably go with something between 400 - 600 in line vent on a dimmer/pot. That way if you don't need all the power, you can bring it down to about 200 - 300.. but if you have a few friends down there, you can bump it up to the max.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I own a Eagle 5000 air purifier. It ionizes the air and adds ozone. We can have 10 people smoking in the garage and keep it about half way up and the fan on high and you can not tell there are people smoking. I swear by it. If you want to go the exhaust fan route Home depot sells a bath fan with 270cfm flow and they sucks alot of air for a home style fan. If you go to install something and need help pm me you are not that far down the road.
I thought you could only run air purifiers with ozone when no one is in the room since ozone is supposed to be poisonous.

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I thought you could only run air purifiers with ozone when no one is in the room since ozone is supposed to be poisonous.
Not quite poisonous. Ozone is O3, made by sudden breakage of an oxygen molecule that is promptly attracted to 2 more oxygen, instead of one. So, that "hitchhiker" is easily attracted to other things; usually loose particles in the air like those that give smell. But if inhaled, Ozone attaches then to an alveolar, and never let's go; which makes it useless for breathing. Enough Ozone and ye won't be able to get oxygen in yer body. Then again, they say I'll get tongue cancer if I keep smoking.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Quote:

Due to the strongly oxidizing properties of ozone, ozone is a primary irritant, affecting especially the eyes and respiratory systems and can be hazardous at even low concentrations.

The Canadian Center for Occupation Safety and Health reports that:
"Even very low concentrations of ozone can be harmful to the upper respiratory tract and the lungs. The severity of injury depends on both by the concentration of ozone and the duration of exposure. Severe and permanent lung injury or death could result from even a very short-term exposure to relatively low concentrations."

funkejj

BoM December 09
Rating - 100%
255   0   0
Ok when we leave for the evening we turn it up, when we go in to use the room we turn it way down. I have not had any issue with this system. The level we keep it at is based off sq footage and is supposed to fine according to the EPA guidelines of ppm of ozone. I have never had any eye or respiratory issue with this set up. And we always walk in to a clean smelling room.