What's new

Vinotemp 12 bottle VT-12TEDS-2 at BB and in need of general advice

onibakushinka

Still Learning
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Hello everyone,

Being new here please be patient with me and let me know if my post violates any rules so I may correct my errors in the future. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

So i have been looking at storage solutions from coolers to thermoelectric wine coolers, currently I am using a small cooler with bovedas from Ron and in the day time using another tupperware with blueice blocks inside to keep the temp down under and around 70. So with my room getting up to over 85 degrees in the summer months I am heavily leaning towards a wineador.

In my hunt I have come across what I think is a good deal at BestBu y with site to store shipping for 139 plus applicable taxes http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Vinotemp+-+12-Bottle+Wine+Cooler+with+Dual+Temperature+Zones+-+Black/8961108.p?skuId=8961108&productCategoryId=abcat0901007&id=1216424729324 I know that on CL there are times when larger models are on sale for under 100, so my question is for everyone who is experienced in these is, am I wrong in thinking that this is a good price ?

Also there are many negative reviews for the company vinotem p on amazon and I have searched and read many threads on here about how people are mostly happy with their units, and have seen post about other companies like haier or emerson and was wondering if people have any new information on reliability of their units or any other companies that people are happy with.

On another note out here in SoCal I have been looking on CL and have found someone who says they are in the process of making a company to sell cosmetically damaged vin otemps and have been quoted anywhere from 60 to 80 for a 21 bottle TEDS with damage such as heavy dents and corner dings which apparently do not effect the units seal or temp keeping. But was wondering everyones general opinion on something like that. sorry for the lack of details and I do not have pictures yet but have requested them in order to see what I am dealing with.

So basically sorry for the rant and if sometimes I am not making sense. But any input will be helpful in figuring out where I will go with my storage solution and if I should just wait it on a good deal from CL.

Thank you all for your time

hiko

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A 12 bottle isn't going to get you very far with storage. Personally I would look for something bigger. I think sears had a bigger one for not that much more

Rating - 98%
61   1   1
The 12 bottle vino for hte price you are looking at has a couple of things going against it... first, it's size... I had a 12 bottle and needed more space rather quickly, I now use an 18 bottle and am very happy... but am still looking at going to 28 as soon as Ihave the scratch pulled together.

Second is price... Vinotemps new are most often the highest priced units. Forexample, for around 150 shipped, Amazon.com has the newair 18 bottle I use. right out of the gate you would have 50% more storage for the same price.

if you can wait it out and go with a CL find... or keep an eye on this board as our brothers often post deals they spot... eventually you'll find something that will fit the bill.

IF money is less of an object, and you are most interested in something that fits your space... then the 12 bottle could be just the thing for you. Just depends on your situation.

r3db4r0n

BoM Jan '11
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
The 12 bottle vino for hte price you are looking at has a couple of things going against it... first, it's size... I had a 12 bottle and needed more space rather quickly, I now use an 18 bottle and am very happy... but am still looking at going to 28 as soon as Ihave the scratch pulled together.

Second is price... Vinotemps new are most often the highest priced units. Forexample, for around 150 shipped, Amazon.com has the newair 18 bottle I use. right out of the gate you would have 50% more storage for the same price.

if you can wait it out and go with a CL find... or keep an eye on this board as our brothers often post deals they spot... eventually you'll find something that will fit the bill.

IF money is less of an object, and you are most interested in something that fits your space... then the 12 bottle could be just the thing for you. Just depends on your situation.
Good advice right there. Personally, I contemplated settling with a smaller model in the beginning, but I knew if I waited long enough the right deal would come around and eventually I ended up buying a 28 bottle Avanti for around $130ish shipped. I can't guarantee you will come by a deal like that (it was open box refurbished), but if time is not a factor I highly suggest the wait - specifically if you are looking to save some coin.

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Ditto what mike said. I have a 12 bottle vinotemp runs well but space it at such a premium with that unit. My suggestion is to hold out and look for some deals. i got my vino for 40 off of craigs list, so you could try there. That is a good retail price but if you wait and hunt around you can probably find something bigger for the same price.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
These are just a few! I always would offer less then they are asking fyi.
Also if you want a vino28(recommended imo) just wait another week it will show up.
I used Craig look( a craiglist search engine) (use the city search on the side also)
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/app/1902477956.html
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/hsh/1899037070.html
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/app/1906665074.html
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/app/1897093732.html
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/app/1896908362.html

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
a tip for anyone using craigslist.

Google the word Craigslist a search window will show up on the result page. This window will search CL nationwide. You'll have to navigate from the google results age, but I found a lost Sand Wedge, from a rare set of clubs in Washington DC for $10 and I paid him to ship it. On Ironfinders it was $100.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Craiglook is nationwide as well and it seems to find more specific hits then Google. Give it a try Dave if you haven't yet. It works really well. The side search distance function is nice because you can pinpoint your area for bigger non shippable items. It has a slide bar function for mileage(0-200 miles) that I really like.

onibakushinka

Still Learning
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Thank you everyone for the invaluable advice and info, I did not even know that there were such options to searching craigslist. Also after some reflection with everyones input, as far as size goes I can see the value of having a larger cooler so in the future I will not have to buy more units for more space. I guess for right now I will buckle down keep adding ice packs and wait for the right deal.

Thank you again everyone for the input

I used Craig look( a craiglist search engine) (use the city search on the side also)
Craig look is very cool, thank you for the suggestion

Thank you for the suggestion on the NewAir, just curious how long you have owned the newair ?

Rating - 98%
61   1   1
I've had mine for under a year, so no real longevity to speak of yet. You can see more about it by checking my under maintained blog link below.

onibakushinka

Still Learning
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
For twenty bucks more and a few for shipping you can get a 28 bottle Avanti shipped to your door from Walmart.
Thank you for the heads up on the Avanti I will check it out.

I've had mine for under a year, so no real longevity to speak of yet. You can see more about it by checking my under maintained blog link below.
Thank you for the reply Mike. I am checking out your blog right now, I am digging the shelves, very nice

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With you being in the SoCal area, the Walmart shipping hub is located there, so you could opt for the free shipping to your local store if you have the means to pick it up yourself.

I'm very satisfied with the Avanti unit so far. :ccool:

onibakushinka

Still Learning
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Thank you everyone for your input and help, right when I was about to place the order for the Avanti from wally world, I used the Craig look again and found A wine enthusiast 28 bottle 25 mins away from me for 100 which is a nice unit with good reviews.

Again thank you everyone. I hope this one works well, it is suppose to be only a year old and it is in good shape, I will try to post pics as soon as I figure out how lol

Now I just need shelves, was it MTmouse ? or chasidor ?