What's new

What kind of glue should I use?

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
I'm thinking I need to make my top tray in my desktop a little narrower to allow for better air flow. What's the best glue to use when I reassemble it?

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
i am not in the construction end of things, but i would think that plain old elmers would work just fine, gorilla glue if you want something extra sturdy

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
Thanks Ron, was worried about the fumes or stability considering the humidity.

Rating - 98%
61   1   1
Ron's got excellent instincts.

Gorilla glue actually uses moisture to help it do its thing... so a high humidity environment should be ok...

From their product description:

100% Waterproof It can truly be used indoors or outdoors, is unaffected by changes in temperature and will not break down when exposed to rain, sun or snow.

And...

Non-toxic It is completely non-toxic when cured. It is free of solvents and fillers. It contains no carcinogens and does not release fumes when either liquid or dry.

The only thing to watch out for is that it does expand a bit while drying so use clamps and be prepared to do some light sanding if any squeezes out of the joint.

If you settle on Elmer's glue, be sure to reach for the waterproof wood glues (they have several). THe big yellow bottle will work after it's cures but it isn't a "weatherproof" glue.

Show us some pics after your successful mod!

Volusianator

BoM Nov '07 & Jan '09
Rating - 93.8%
86   4   1
We worry to much about what glue to use. The RH in our humidors is very rarely over 70%, many of our homes get to this point and above. Does your furniture come apart when this happens? Good construction, great joints, regular ol wood glue will work fine, if you're paranoid, go with waterproof glue like Tightbond III.