What's new

What one should I do

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My 100 count is starting to get full. I plan on buying some more boxes of cigars soon. Problem is, I dont' know what I want to do for my next humidor. Its between a coolidor and a wine cooler. Problem is, the cooler doesn't have glass on it where I can monitor the humidity, plus its ugly. The wine cooler would work for all of that, plus i can build spanish cedar trays that pull out for it and mount an analog hygrometer so I can view humidity; BUT wine coolers are expensive. I was planning on building my own cabinet; but the engine build up for my cadillac is costing me more than I initially intended. The lowrider comes before the smokes.

Rating - 98.6%
98   1   0
IMHO, and believe me, it doesn't mean much, I would go with the wine cooler. Sure, it's going to be more on the front end. But if you are going to be able to fill that with lovelies over time, I think that it is money well spent. Plus like you were saying, it looks a helluva lot better than a big ol' Coleman 50 qt. cooler, and you would be proud to display and show off the glass-front wine cooler... Just my 2 pieces

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
If you are planning to build a wood hummi (if it were me) I would go with a cooler for now, 2 if needed. Finish up your cadillac then build the hummi. But that is just me.

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
Big question for me is what temps will the room be where they will be stored. If temp is no issue anything will work, if your house is 80 deg. all summer I'd vote for the wine cooler, only takes one bettle party to make it worth the cost.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php?t=8917&highlight=coolidor+primer

I agree with jmatkins and go with the cooldor set up. Keep only the sticks you plan to smoke in the near future in the humidor and keep the cooler hidden away for storage.

Far as a wine cooler goes, even for a smaller one you will spend hundreds of dollars getting it to work properly for you. I suggest you nix that idea totally. I only suggest those in hot climates get those these days.

Rating - 100%
20   0   0
i bought a wine cooler just last week instead of another humidor but i did so because it gets pretty hot/humid up here in new england in the summertime and i rarely run my a/c full-time. i don't know if my basement keeps cooler in the summer (because i just moved) so i figured a wine cooler is the safest means of storage to keep the dreaded beetles away. plus i can store a sh!tload more than my desktop humi (which is full now, thanks to this board).

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Its around 72 in my house at all times. I plan on keeping ones in here that I will "age" a little bit (1 year +).
Then you need to read the collerdor primer thread that Headbanger posted. get your self a cooler, and find a closet somewhere to put it in. DO NOT USE AN ANALOG HYGRO for any use other than decoration. A couple pounds of beads and you won't even have to open it but for once a month.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
Its around 72 in my house at all times. I plan on keeping ones in here that I will "age" a little bit (1 year +).

You will be hard pressed to find a better and cheaper way to go other than a coolidor. 72 degrees is no problem with heat if you are concerned about tobacco beetles. Coolidors can hold boxes as well. If you have a lot of singles, 5 packs, samplers, etc, get empty boxes that can hold them securely and limit the free air space and your still covered with the coolidor. By all means use the humidor to smoke from the the overage in the coolidor.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
coolidor it is. In all reality, even though I plan on letting them age, I am probably going to let temptation take over and take one out a month. lol

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I have a wine cooler *AND* a regular cooler.

The wine cooler cost me somewhere in the neighborhood of $400 bucks when it was all said and done. It maintains 68º/65% pretty damn well.

The regular cooler is just a big, ugly, $50 white Coleman cooler from Sam's Club. I had to put a pound of bead in it, which was another $30 bucks. There are a couple of pieces of spanish cedar planks in the bottom of it as well. Total cost was under $100. It maintains 65% dead-on perfect. As for temperature, it's stored in a cool closet, so it doesn't seem to get much above 75º or so, and it's usually cooler than that.

If I were doing it all over again, I'd skip the wine cooler and just use a regular coolerdor. It holds humidity better *AND* it only costs a fraction of the wine cooler.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I think that is a coleman cooler that has the "slots" that can be used for shelves. Also MTmouse can take the specs and make some shelves for you.

I google coolerdor and checked the images for this one. Google it and you'll get lots of ideas.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If I make shelves like that, can I just keep singles in there without a box considering its sitting in spanish cedar? Any problem with lining the bottom and top with spanish cedar? Should work if I just use a water resistant adhesive that is odorless, right?