What's new

What's going on here?

kmckinn3

Learning from the best
Rating - 100%
117   0   1
Good afternoon!
I have a 12 bottle Vinotemp that was handed down from Mike (mav_sd). Everything has been working fantastic until about a week ago. I checked the hygrometer one night and it said 75%! I was pretty confused because there are a pound of 65% beads and another half pound of 70% beads randomly dispersed in there. Usually it is rock solid at 65F/66-67% RH.

I'm about to re-calibrate my hygro using the salt test to make sure it's not faulty... but I don't think that's the issue because 2 days ago on the top shelf (where the hygro is) I found 2 tat red verocus with their feet cracked! After I saw that I cleared out that drawer and moved the cigars and hygro down 2 shelves. Now it reads 65/65... why is the top of my vintotemp so humid? As far as capacity goes, it's probably 70% full atm.

BTW- I checked the plug and it is snug.

Thanks in advance Ron.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
weather is warming up, so the cooling unit is running more.

when the cooling unit turns on and drops the temp, the relative humidity increases.. Also, humidity tends to rise to the top of your cabinet

Thats why you are seeing humidity increases.

while we all know that the beads work, they can not work fast enough to adjust for those quick changes when the cooling unit turns on.

the fix is to use an external temp control device that allows you to keep your temp at 70 degress vs. the 65 that most wine coolers can be set at.. search johnson control on various cigar boards.

kmckinn3

Learning from the best
Rating - 100%
117   0   1
Thanks Ron.

I never would have thought of that. It has been doing well at 65/65 lately, but still notice some spikes to 69. I'm blastin the AC and have an oust fan in there now to help until I can get a Johnson a419.