What's new

Why 75% for calibration?

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
So I'm rapidly outgrowing my desktop humidor and started putting together parts lists to price out some coolidor/winedor options and something struck me as odd when I was looking at hygrometers. Is there a specific reason the Boveda calibration kits come with a 75% pack? I know with the old "Salt test" method that was the norm, but is there a specific reason to stick with 75% or would it make more send to stick the hygros in a ziplock with a 65% pack since that's my target humidity?

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Most digital hygrometers that have a calibrate button are set to 75. So you have to have it at 75 to calibrate. Other than that you could use any %.

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
The pack that Boveda sells in the calibration kit is calibrated to be accurate to plus or minus. .03%. A standard Boveda pack is accurate to plus or minus 1%.

So any pack will work, but the calibration kit pack IS a tad more precise.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally dependent on what you store at and what hygro you are using. Most digitals seem to have a calibrate set button that defaults whatever is displayed to 75% when you push it. I use the caliber IV thats a percentage of offest instead +/- 6% so seeing how my preference is 65% I get a 65% pack and calibrate with that. One thing that I have noticed is no hygrometer under $1000 has linear change, so accurate at 75% is not necessarily accurate at 60-65% where most seem to prefer.