What's new

Wine and Cigars Stored Together?

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Is anyone using a wine frig for wine and cigars? I'm picking up a duel zone frig with space for reds and whites. I assume I do not want to store the cigars at 40-50 degrees. The problem arises as I have far more red wine than white, thus the space I will have available will be in the cooler half of the frig. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rule of thumb is to store wine at 55 degrees, red or white. However with red wines you can store them at much warmer temps, which is more ideal then white wines. I think if you were able to set the temps in the cooler for around 65 degrees, this would be ideal for both your red wine and cigars. Also if it's a duel zone fridge, I assume it has two sets of temps? If so, them put the wine in one zone, set to whatever temp you want, and then your sticks in the second zone and store at 65 degrees or whatever your preference is.

Farani

Actually a Corona Gorda
Rating - 100%
67   0   0
The rule of thumb is to store wine at 55 degrees, red or white. However with red wines you can store them at much warmer temps, which is more ideal then white wines. I think if you were able to set the temps in the cooler for around 65 degrees, this would be ideal for both your red wine and cigars. Also if it's a duel zone fridge, I assume it has two sets of temps? If so, them put the wine in one zone, set to whatever temp you want, and then your sticks in the second zone and store at 65 degrees or whatever your preference is.
You really want to store white wine at 45 degrees, not 55. Also, if you're talking long-term aging of the red wine, you really want it at 50-55. Personally, I don't feel comfortable storing my red wine at anything over 62. 65 is the absolute max for storing red wine. And as an absolute max, it's not desirable to store it at that temp. Higher temperatures are going to allow undesirable chemical reactions to take place. Humidity should be in the 60-75 percent range so the corks don't dry out.

Also keep in mind that the biggest factor in wine store is temperature fluctuations and vibrations. If you're going to have the door open a lot and be rummaging around in there, you're going to be disturbing the wine, and it's going to effect it.

I'd say it's okay short-term, but I wouldn't keep these two stored together permanently.

I should also state that I have a 125 bottle collection of red wine, so I have done a lot of research since I have made a sizable investment, and I don't want to see it ruined.