What's new

Wine Cooler Advice

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hello,

I am new to this, and I read a bit about the wine cooler conversion to humidor. But not that much.

Coincidentally, I was given as a gift today, the following:

cuisinart-cwc600-6-bottle-wine-cellar

I was hoping to get some adivice on converting it to a humidor.
It gets to 68% which is warmer than anywhere i can maintain my cigars for now. So thats a plus.

I don't have much to spend, but I was thinking I can purchase Cedar from soemwhere, and line the inside, shelves, and then use some boveda packs to manage humidty?

any thougths, advice?

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
If you're gonna store them in boxes, no need to line it. The boxes have enough cedar. If you're gonna store them naked, then shelves would be good. Get some beads, and you're all set.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Thanks for the quick reply's.

I did see some stuff on the avanti's and others, I was not sure if there were some issues or anything about cuisinart, since I did not find it mentioned. It's not very big is more likley the reason, but three deep shelves can store lot's of cigars at 68 degrees, so That should be good. I can't keep anything else in the house above 55 degrees most the time and that is making mainting the humidity difficult, keeps dropping.

I found my most succesful humidity control has come with a combination of beads in the box iwth some boveda packs. I was thinking for the coolidor, just to go with extra boveda packs. SOmething like 5 or 6 69% bags for the whole cooler. Maybe attaching a holder to the back, so the three levels each have 2 packs or something like that.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
INHO, a 6 bottle cooler is too small to mess with. Of course if you are not going to store wine in it, then why not. I have a 26 bottle wine fridge, and it's filling up quick. I use a Cigar oasis and a bunch of the Kitty litter for humidity control. I'm still in my first year using it, so I have not worked out all the quirks yet, but if you questions feel free to PM me.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
INHO, a 6 bottle cooler is too small to mess with. Of course if you are not going to store wine in it, then why not. I have a 26 bottle wine fridge, and it's filling up quick. I use a Cigar oasis and a bunch of the Kitty litter for humidity control. I'm still in my first year using it, so I have not worked out all the quirks yet, but if you questions feel free to PM me.
I won't be keeping any wine in it :) Maybe one or two bottles of red in the top shelf, but doubtfull.

I don't have nearly enough cigars to really fill it up at this point. But at the pace collections grow, it's not unfathomable. i think I could get the majority of 2008 done between the wine cooler, and my 2 desktop humidors.

I am sure at some point I will cave any buy myself more toys though :)

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I ust saw another thread that said humidors are like women's purses. No matter how big it is, it will fill up and you'll need a bigger one.

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I ust saw another thread that said humidors are like women's purses. No matter how big it is, it will fill up and you'll need a bigger one.
Yes, it's a very addictive hobby.

I couldnt resist, I already ordered the cedar trays, and a sampler of double maduro's to go with. :)

5 - 5 Vegas Series 'A'
5 - Gurkha Doble Maduro
5 - Indian Tabac Super Fuerte Maduro
5 - Triple Ligero by K. Hansotia

I have been curious about the Doble Maduro and IT Super Fuerte.
I never heard of the Triple Ligero, I am not sure what that is, but I got a good price on the bundle with the cedar trays and a travel humidor.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Yes, it's a very addictive hobby.

I couldnt resist, I already ordered the cedar trays, and a sampler of double maduro's to go with. :)

5 - 5 Vegas Series 'A'
5 - Gurkha Doble Maduro
5 - Indian Tabac Super Fuerte Maduro
5 - Triple Ligero by K. Hansotia

I have been curious about the Doble Maduro and IT Super Fuerte.
I never heard of the Triple Ligero, I am not sure what that is, but I got a good price on the bundle with the cedar trays and a travel humidor.
The triple Ligero By K Han...is a strong smoke, and is from the man behind Gurkha. All 4 of those smokes listed are good smokes I love Gurkha and the 5vegas A

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Ok, I ordered some trays that will fit better.

In the meantime, I got it set up with a bag o beads, and 3 72% boveda packs. lining the bottom.

I moved the three trays from a chepo humi into there, ill move them back when the trays come, then reason the desktop humi.

In the meantime, all my existing cigars fit in the wine cooler with ease... which means I can buy more cigars, and i have 2 empty humi's i can seaon and fill... joy to the world.

the wine cooler seems ok, it is pretty small though for someone whos been puffing the cigar longer than me and has more cigars. But it seems to be running clean at 68 degrees, and ill monitor the humidity for the next few days to make sure its stable and i can relax.

i through a caliber 3 hygro / temp monitor to double check the temp, dont trust the cooler yet, and i need the humidity data anyway. i was thinking of putting a second caliber in on the bottom and one on top to see that it's all even, the thing has a little fan in the back, so it moves its own air around it seems.

thanks for the advice, i felt comforteble using it after.

i think i will de cello some of my cigars that i want to age next. the ones i smoke more often ill probably leave wrapped, but i am curious about the aging cigars, and now that i have an enviroment that works, i can make that a new project.