What's new

Wine Cooler Checklist

Dr. Xikar

The Knife Doctor
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
University of Mount Union, Alliance, Ohio
Alright... I know I'm beating this one to death, but I feel like I'm forgetting something. I'm building this based on OB-Left's Edgestar Build, but sans fans (at this point in time), and using boxes instead of shelves (For lack of funds).

(Here's OB-Left's thread, for reference: http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php?t=49147&highlight=edgestar+build )

So, here's what I've got/what I'm waiting on.

- Edgestar 28 Bottle Wine Cooler (Still waiting to hear back from the seller, but I'll get it sooner or later)
- Prewired ETC ( http://www.etcsupply.com/ranco-etc111000000-prewired-digital-temperature-controller-p-87.html )
- Adhesive Wire Mounts (for setting up the ETC cord, and eventual fans)
- 2 Pounds of Heartfelt beads: 3 allotments of .5lbs in mesh baggies, and then one half pound in a dish to collect condensation rerouted in the same manner as OB-Left's build
- 1 8oz "pillow" of HCM beads (that's a half pound for people as volume-challenged as myself!)
- 1 Rectangular Hygrometer from CigarSolutions

Alright. I think that's everything, but I can't help but feel like I'm forgetting something. Like I said, Shelves will come in the future, but outside of that, can you think of anything I'm missing? The cooler might take an unfortunately long time to ship, so I want to try to get absolutely everyting I need for when it gets here.

Thanks guys!
Jeremy

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Id get another hygo. Seems rh is different sometimes from top to bottom so you may want to monitor that. Some put extra hygros in the drawers as well.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building a wineador right now to, but I am waiting to see if I need an ETC, I live in NJ and I see your in OH so it might not be necessary.

But I agree with C1ark, get atleast 1 more hygro, if not two. I will have 3 or 4 in mine.

Good Luck!

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I am building a wineador right now to, but I am waiting to see if I need an ETC, I live in NJ and I see your in OH so it might not be necessary.

But I agree with C1ark, get atleast 1 more hygro, if not two. I will have 3 or 4 in mine.

Good Luck!
I too am in the process of putting one together. Im in Indiana and the last summer months can get unbearable at times with the humidity. At the moment I am not going to go with an ETC, but like you, will keep my eyes on it to see if its a necessity in the future.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Looks about right, Definitely agree you will need a decent digital hygrometer. I know you said you were going to use cigar boxes so you're good there. Just need more cigars to fill it up!

Rating - 100%
159   0   0
Alright... I know I'm beating this one to death, but I feel like I'm forgetting something. I'm building this based on OB-Left's Edgestar Build, but sans fans (at this point in time), and using boxes instead of shelves (For lack of funds).

(Here's OB-Left's thread, for reference: http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php?t=49147&highlight=edgestar+build )

So, here's what I've got/what I'm waiting on.

- Edgestar 28 Bottle Wine Cooler (Still waiting to hear back from the seller, but I'll get it sooner or later)
- Prewired ETC ( http://www.etcsupply.com/ranco-etc111000000-prewired-digital-temperature-controller-p-87.html )
- Adhesive Wire Mounts (for setting up the ETC cord, and eventual fans)
- 2 Pounds of Heartfelt beads: 3 allotments of .5lbs in mesh baggies, and then one half pound in a dish to collect condensation rerouted in the same manner as OB-Left's build
- 1 8oz "pillow" of HCM beads (that's a half pound for people as volume-challenged as myself!)
- 1 Rectangular Hygrometer from CigarSolutions

Alright. I think that's everything, but I can't help but feel like I'm forgetting something. Like I said, Shelves will come in the future, but outside of that, can you think of anything I'm missing? The cooler might take an unfortunately long time to ship, so I want to try to get absolutely everyting I need for when it gets here.

Thanks guys!
Jeremy
Will need:

assorted plastic zip ties, (black blends in nicely)
heavy duty self-adhesive Velcro, for attaching stuff in back
something to plug extra space in hole and black electrical tape to cover.

I used one of the condensation tray screws to mount the ETC and also used Velcro to keep it from moving.

I live in Michigan and love the ETC. Means that the fan in the Edgestar is not running 24/7 and it doesn't have to try and cool the the highest (wine) temp.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Did you get a calibration kit with the hygro, or do you have one already? Just a thought. Otherwise sounds like you have things covered pretty well.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Dr. X, I live in Al where we have crazy high temps and RH's. I got the ETC but haven't even taken it out of the box yet. I have had mine up and running for about two weeks and it seems to be doing great without it. You might end up not needing. my two cents

Rating - 100%
8   0   0

Good Luck!
I'm in NJ, I have a vinotemp. I set it to 65 degrees and use 65% hf beads. There was no need to reroute condensation as I get none.. I probally have 3 lbs of beads throughout.. The only issue I have had is with the seal on the door.. I fixed that with snowboard wax all the way around.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I'm in NJ, I have a vinotemp. I set it to 65 degrees and use 65% hf beads. There was no need to reroute condensation as I get none.. I probally have 3 lbs of beads throughout.. The only issue I have had is with the seal on the door.. I fixed that with snowboard wax all the way around.
More info? Snowboard wax? I've always thought my door seal was a tad loose.