What's new

Wine Cooler question...

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
I found a nice 34 bottle Avanti for 50 bux (35-45 minute drive each way)
the specs I found for it say it uses refrigerant in a sealed system... I take it that means it is not one of the thermoelectric right?
Is there a problem with using one of the non thermoelectric ones with cigars?
do they consume too much more electricity or is it more or less the same?

Thanks guys.

diesel

Banned
Rating - 91.9%
78   5   1
I am in the process hooking up a non-thermo (NT) as we type. I will keep you updated. I am very interested to hear of others experience because I am green in the area a Wine coolers.

JRL

Formerly known as Jeeper
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
If it says that it uses refrigerant then it sounds like it is not a thermoelectric unit.

My understanding is that the thermoelectric unit does use less power, operates quieter and it will also not form or produce condensation which can and will happen with a refrigerant system. I may be incorrect on that one though.

Hardcore

BoM April '09
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
To my knowledge that means it is not thermoelectric. It should still work fine for you. Sounds like you stole that bad boy!

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
To my knowledge that means it is not thermoelectric. It should still work fine for you. Sounds like you stole that bad boy!
It's used, but in good condition from the pictures.

haven't got it yet... I actually just found it like 10-15 minutes before I posted.
I think that I'm gonna be bringing it home and with time order some drawers and shelves for it.
My mom always gets on me when I bring stuff home... and this is gonna be an interesting one!
Hi mom
-Whats that
It's a wine cooler (and from here on... a very steep downhill slope!!)

diesel

Banned
Rating - 91.9%
78   5   1
The fridge I am using does produce condensation. But now that I have added beads it doesn't because they suck it up. Also, I can hear it run but its not disturbing. I can hear my oust fans and oasis over the running of the cooler.

coppereagl

Not looking for trouble, but if it finds me....;)
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Heres how I have understood it from what I have read,
The thermo electric design used for wine has much more to do with the vibration and its effect on wine. the wine chillers being used for wine, to age wine using a regular compressor can damage the "settled" wine by vibrating the bottles. The thermo electric was designed to cool appropriately without creating any vibration. In the cigar world this thermo electric type is a more valid choice because the tempatures the thermo electric can maintain are higher (50-75) than the compressor style, which often cannot be set to warmer temps recommended for cigar storage(60-70).