What's new

Wineador Humidification: HeartFelt or HCM(Shilala) Beads

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Okay I know this question has been asked a zillion times, but I'll ask it once more. I'm building a Wineador (NewAir 28-Bottle AW-280E) and will be putting a full drawer/shelf setup from Wineadors.com in there. Right now I'm trying to tackle the issue of which beads to go with (I decided I didn't want to go the Kitty Litter route) and could use some help; so here are the questions

1) Assuming the claim that HCM rebound faster to opening/closing the unit - how big deal is this? Do the Heartfelt beads suck at this? I won't be going into the unit daily.
2) If the HeartFelt 'wear out' how often do they need to be replaced?
3) This is the big one - Can someone help me understand the seasoning process using HCM beads? To my understanding the HCM beads attempt to set themselves to the ambient humidity of the area they are in. So if you put them in a 65% wineador great... Since this is new though, and Im sure the shelves/drawers aren't seasoned what would happen if I put the HCM beads in there? Won't they start to release humidty, but ultimately 'set' themselves somewhere lower?

That should do it; cheers brothers!

Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I have no experience with HCM, but I can say Heartfelt don't suck at rebound. I've heard HCM are faster, though. I've found by using more HF beads than I need I have no problems at all with that. Also, I've only been using my beads for 3 yrs, but I haven't read anything about them wearing out. That's one of the benefits of both beads, never need to be replaced.

As for #3, I've wondered that myself!

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
25 has used both and now uses HCMs only. Im sure he'll be along soon. If I had to do it all over once I'd have HCMs in all 3 vinos. They can be set at any Rh which is just as big as lasting longer in between recharges....

Last edited:

carholio

Carl
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I have HCM beads in my 28 bottle Edgestar. I threw them in there with several 69rh Boveda packs. Everything stays solid at 68 - 69rh. I open mine just about daily and if it drops or raises it takes less than a half hour for everything to right itself to 68-69. I have not removed the Bovedas but they have been pretty full for the last several months.