What's new

Wineador KL Question

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Gentlemen

Have my 28 bottle NewAir 281e pretty much full with almost all boxes and put like 3 coffins with KL inside them as they are easy to stash in various places for me.

What does everyone think is the minimum amount of KL needed for a wineador that size? Worried I have too little in.

Have 2 digital hygrometers, one up top and one at the bottom and the RH is fine on both...

Thoughts?? I know for my cooler I had over a pound of beads running in it

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
If the RH is good… I'd be happy.

If you were starting it up and asking the same questions, my answer would be a couple lbs at least.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
I personally would add a bit more... better overkill than not enough. I think the tubes that Heartfelt sells (not sure if anyplace else does) are perfect in that they are shaped like a cigar and the entire tube is filled with holes allowing more beads to work. If in a coffin or other type of container, only the beads on the top are really touching the air and being used.

You can see the top 2 options here:
http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/products.asp?cat=65%25+Rh+Humidity+Beads

But obviously coffins is a good option for things you already have if you don't want to buy something else.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
404   0   0
I have about 1/2 pound of kitty litter in each of my coolers and they hold very stable. Based on the size of my coolers vs the size of a 28 bottle wineador I would guess that a pound should do the trick. If you have the space though a little more than that shouldn't hurt. JMHO.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I used the calculator on the heartfelt site, mine came in at 2709 cubic inches, it said 5 ounces for 2700 cubic inches. I used regular panty hose and put 10 ounces in one and then filled another 2 with 5 ounces each to place on the shelves higher up. Hoping this will help it recover quicker. Was told to use double whatever the heartfelt site said for kitty litter.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
That's good to know. I may add some more to mine as well for quicker recovery time. When or if you need to spray the KL, do you spray the pantyhose directly? Could that moisture pose a problem if you set that back onto a cedar shelf/tray? Just curious.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I haven't put it in yet, but I'm sure just rolling it across a paper towel to get any excess would solve that, all the moisture should soak into the litter fairly quickly

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are "holding" at your desired humidity. What about recovery? Can you open the door for an extended period and have a fairly rapid recovery. That's always what I am after.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
General rule of thumb is use 125% more KL that you would beads. KL works great even if you have more than you need in there....what you are experiencing with what you already have is why people love KL...it works even at minimum quantities.