What's new

Wineador Modification to Prevent Temperature Reset

Nostromo

Capataz de Cargadores
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wineador Modification to Prevent Temperature Reset

I've been lurking at the old forums for a long while now. I’ve learned so much from the site and figured I would try to contribute. I’m in the process of outfitting my 28 Bottle Wine Enthusiast Thermoelectric Wine Fridge into a humidor. While many keep their fridge unplugged, others need a way to keep their cigar temperatures in check. In the case of the Wine Enthusiast and several other models of thermoelectric wine fridge, when there’s a power interruption the built-in thermostat resets to the lowest setting, resulting in condensation and a precipitous drop in RH. I’ve read that some keep their fridge connected to a power supply to keep it running continuously. If you are fairly handy with electronics you can install a switch and relay to keep the fridge from turning back on after a power outage, so that you can turn the fridge back on and adjust the thermostat at your convenience. Always make sure that you double-check the circuit and all connections so you don’t release the magic smoke.

Parts:

The principle here is that you use the switch to close the relay and send power to the fridge. The relay is then self-powering. In the case of a power outage the relay will open, and the only way to close it again is to manually hit the switch. Compared to a power supply this is an inexpensive modification that can be done in less than an hour. Fortunately I already had all the parts on hand, but they shouldn’t be difficult or expensive to procure.

Relay Wiring Diagram:

Directions:

1) Disconnect power cord and remove back cover from wine fridge. Disconnect power connector from PCB and remove cable strain relief to free power cable. Strip off approximately 12” of the outer sheath from the cable to expose the wires. Cut the hot and neutral wires, leaving about 9-10” running from the PCB connector and about 3-4” left on the power cable. Leave the ground wire intact and connected.

2) Attach relay with double sided tape. You want to get the good industrial grade tape so that it doesn’t fall off later. The relay must have a 120VAC coil and contacts rated for at least the current draw of the wine fridge. My 28-bottle thermoelectric fridge draws 1A. I used an old relay I pulled a long time ago from a broken vacuum cleaner, but a new one shouldn’t cost more than $10 online.

3) Cut hole in the back cover for the switch. I already had some small rectangular rocker switches, but a round switch would be easier to install since you just need to drill a big enough hole. Alternatively you can leave the switch hanging loose and tucked away behind the cover, just make sure to insulate the connections well with heat-shrink tubing or electrical tape. The most idiot-proof way is to use a momentary, SPST, NO switch to close the relay, but you can use a maintained switch as long as you remember to leave it open after you power on the fridge.

4) Cut additional wires, strip the ends, and crimp on female quick-disconnects to make the circuit as shown in the diagram. You can solder the connections if you prefer, but I find crimping to be faster and easier and you can disconnect it later if needed. Some switches come with solder tabs while others have male spade connectors.

5) Make sure to test the circuit before you reattach the back cover. When you plug in the cable the fridge should not power on. Flipping the switch should then close the relay and power on the fridge. Disconnecting and reconnecting the power cable should require flipping the switch again to power on the fridge.

Now you can go enjoy a nice stogie knowing your collection will be perfectly safe in the event of a power outage. The fridge will remain turned off waiting for you to turn it back on.

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
That is a good way. Though in the heat of summer leaving a wineador turned off could result in hot temps by the time I get home. That's why some of us opt to hook up either a back up power supply, or like my setup a temp controller that controls power to the wineador. In event of power going out then back on unit resets to 50'f. But with a temp controller, it will cycle power on and off to maintain a specific range. Until I get home to reset wineador to 65'f.

Good looking diagram and instructions on your setup. Thanks for sharing.

Nostromo

Capataz de Cargadores
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a good way. Though in the heat of summer leaving a wineador turned off could result in hot temps by the time I get home.
I figure the wine cooler is insulated so the temperature should not rise too much in case of a power outage. At least not change as much and as rapidly as compared to kicking into full power chill down to the min temp.

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I figure the wine cooler is insulated so the temperature should not rise too much in case of a power outage. At least not change as much and as rapidly as compared to kicking into full power chill down to the min temp.
Depending on the ambient temp. of your house you are correct. I went with the wineador so that I could keep my A/C turned up when no one is home during work day to cut down on utility bill. In summer my house with A/C off or turned up runs around 80'f.

It would be great if manufacturers would wire a battery into the circuit so that when power goes out then back on the programming stays put. Much like a clock battery in a computer.

The insulation of a wineador is actually fairly thin. In the model I have there is only 1/2-3/4" foam inside rear wall, and based on thickness of side walls Im assuming not much different there. Even though the unit is kept out of direct sunlight, If I turn mine off in July, the temp climbs pretty soon after. I understand that your mileage my vary, since Im in a hundred year old house that doesn't have the best insulation.

But folks reading this should understand that a wineador does not have the equal insulation properties of either a coolidor or a standard refrigerator. They are great for those of us needing cooling properties, and look much better than my coolidor. But the cooler has far better insulation. Though as soon as summer rolls around the cooler goes back to my office where the temp is kept at 68'f.