What's new

50,000 year old humidor

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks everyone. You are all too kind. As far as coming across this goes, It was suggested to me to check out the wood by a fellow wood worker. He knew I hunt for exotic wood so he hooked me up.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I remember when you got the wood for this. You posted about it on another forum. Awesome to see the final product. Very nice work as usual.

kmckinn3

Learning from the best
Rating - 100%
117   0   1
Here are a few pics of a desk top I just finished. The unique thing about this humidor is that it's 50,000 years old. The darker wood is called Kauri. The trees this wood comes from grew for 10,000 years in a warm climate. Then an ice age came along and they were buried by the glacier 50,000 years ago and frozen in time. Now that the earth is going through its natural warming cycle, the trees were discovered by farmers when their plows would hit them. Some of the trees are in excess of 20 feet in diameter. It's a very difficult wood to work with. The sawdust is like flower or finer. When finished properly, it has an iridescent like a school of fish swimming by. Anyway, Here are the pictures of the humidor. Please enjoy PS sorry I didn't get better pics of the wood.
Beautiful work man!

I like how you said "now that the earth is going through its natural warming cycle" instead of saying global warming. A lot fo people don't understand the natural cycles of the earth.

Heads up... sent you a PM

Rating - 98%
61   1   1
Amazing. A priceless heirloom for sure.

Always warms the heart to see folks craft timeless treasures like these. Just fantastic.

ahbroody

Daddy X3
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Here are a few pics of a desk top I just finished. The unique thing about this humidor is that it's 50,000 years old. The darker wood is called Kauri. The trees this wood comes from grew for 10,000 years in a warm climate. Then an ice age came along and they were buried by the glacier 50,000 years ago and frozen in time. Now that the earth is going through its natural warming cycle, the trees were discovered by farmers when their plows would hit them. Some of the trees are in excess of 20 feet in diameter. It's a very difficult wood to work with. The sawdust is like flower or finer. When finished properly, it has an iridescent like a school of fish swimming by. Anyway, Here are the pictures of the humidor. Please enjoy PS sorry I didn't get better pics of the wood.

Awesome. Wish I had the patience and time to learn wood working I think I would enjoy it.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I am hardcore jealous! That is amazing! Video really gives me an idea of how gorgeous this must be in real life.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just wanted to say thanks again for all the wonderful compliments and the 5 star rating too. I've got another couple I'm working on. I'll keep you updated. Cigarmoney, you are in for it brother.:smokingbo

Last edited: