What's new

Ammo can humidor build v 2.0: the 30mm Ammo Can

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My buddy got a 30mm ammo can that was given to him by a dude that brought it home from Viet Nam. Its huge.

Dimensions are around: 17"L x 8-3/4"w x 14" H.

Biggest problem is that the center of this thing is warped like a MOFO! Interior dimensions are around 17x7.5x14. The center of the box is under 7", thus f'ing up the box drawers that I split in half, just so my pal can access the cigars down below without having to remove the entire tray o cigars.

on to the pictures!

I paid less for this spanish cedar, for a humidor about 4-5x the size of mine I made back at the first of the year. $42 for all this wood. A guy I met through my B&M cigar shop has a 3 car garage that is his wood shop. He has a huge piece of Spanish cedar that is 1.25" thick and 10" wide and now about 7' long and we ripped the lumber out of this, cut it to size, and ripped the boards to 1/4" thickness.

of course, you gotta have a cigar or several when you are making a humidor!

side view of the can:

put the sub floor in. had to do a bit of trimming, but worked out fine:

Got layer 1 of the 4" high walls in. The corners are cut on a 45 and are free floating because they are crazy tightly fitting.

Layer #2 of 4" high walls installed!

Now I needed to plan on how to split the drawers without them falling down into the lower section.

Since the interior is around 17" long, I am doing one drawer 10" the other 7"

While using my top of the line work bench, I found the center of 1 of the boards for the pilot hole. I clamped down 1 of the end walls to start drilling the holes:

Since I'm going to have 2 drawers side to side, I am going to use 2 different sized holes. Since this is the bigger 10" box, I'm using the bigger hole saw.

cut out:

rinse and repeat for the other end board.

I picked up a 1" wide ratcheting band clamp from Harbor Freight to assist in the gluing of the box shape. Worth every penny of $6, but it takes some time getting used to how to work it to get things lined up perfectly...I'm sure I'll be proficient in about 5-6 more humidors!

Get it all squared up, and check for fit, loosen clamps, glue it and tighten up the ratcheting band clamp

ProTip #1: Do the check for fit move before you go cutting the holes, so if you have to trim a bit off the sides to get a loose fit on the drawer for easy removal, you don't have to worry about the holes not being perfectly centered if you have the ADHD.

Drawer fits, gotta add the bottom slats and do drawer #2 and slats and done!
to be continued......

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drawer #2 was sized up first (pro tip #1) to size it up, pull the band clamp to the top and fit in the can to make sure the fit is good, then I pulled the ends out off the band clamp apparatus and drilled holes in the ends with a smaller hole saw:

reassemble the drawer in the band clamp, glue it and enjoy a cigar waiting for the glue to dry!

bottom view of the ventilation slats on the drawers. I asked my wood source to rip some 3' long strips of 3/4" wide strips so I could cut them and add to the base of the drawers. He had some other scrap we cut down to a bit thinner width.

finished smaller drawer:

Finished pics and interior dimensions:

The lower area is roughly: 16.5" long x 6.625" wide x 8" tall. Small drawer is 6.375" long x 6.375" wide x 4" tall and the big drawer is 9.5" long x 6.375" wide x 4" tall. I have no clue how to calculate that into total amount of cigars it will essentially store, but my rough estimate is somewhere between an shitload and more I can smoke in a year!

BTW, the cigar shown in the photos in the humidor for scale purposes is a Nica Rustica 6x52 ring gauge.

This literally took me less than 2 mornings of work in the garage. The hardest part was getting together with my source for the Spanish cedar, cutting that to size I needed and then drinking too much bourbon. I "built" a smaller 5.56 .50cal ammo can back at the first of the year with my 75 year old uncle who obviously some how views me as a child and wouldn't let me do any of the damn cuts, but my work with him really helped me knock this build out in a relatively short amount of time.

Pro Tip #2: Cut a drinking straw at a 45* angle to scrape any glue that oozes out of the boards when pressure is applied.

Pro Tip #3: Glue dries painfully slow in a 2.5 car garage that is being heated up with a lone kerosene heater.

Pro Tip #4: Just take the damn drawer into the house to glue, so the run off is much easier to clean up when wet than when dry

Things I'd do differently: I would probably make the smaller shelf about 1" longer, just in case your preferred cigar size is longer than 6", but my buddy predominantly smokes robustos, so I don't foresee any issues on the whole.

Things to consider: This isn't a daily use humidor. The lid just doesn't lift up like a traditional humidor. I don't want to say its a pain to take off, but you have to remove the entire top of the can to access the contents inside. That being said, its air tight and I would just throw a Boveda pack in the bottom and check it every now and again once you get a feel on how it holds humidity.

Also, if you were to purchase the Spanish cedar via a woodworking website, you are looking at damn near $100 just in materials....I'm guessing.

Buy one of those band clamp jobbies. Worth its weight in gold if you ever need to make a box-like shape such as a jewelry box, picture frames, humidor. Works like a champ.

Thanks for looking. I'm always open to suggestions to possibly improve things or make things easier. For that $42 I paid for all this wood actually includes enough wood to do a Fat 50 can, that I'm doing for a Christmas present. The hardest part is finding the damn ammo cans anymore. Thankfully my brother is bringing me 3 of them on thanksgiving for less than 20/each. Not bad for a guy who usually just throws scrap wood together to build stuff.

T

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Nice job sir. I have a few large cans I have considered. I ended up doing a tool box humidor instead due to the lid. They are super tight! Lol.

How many sticks do you think it can hold?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice job sir. I have a few large cans I have considered. I ended up doing a tool box humidor instead due to the lid. They are super tight! Lol.

How many sticks do you think it can hold?
several hundred if you stack them up I'm guessing. My buddy who I built it for stores a few boxes (which takes up space obviously) and keeps loose cigars in the trays on the top. I don't know how they calculate the storage space in cigar terms, but that is a big ass humidor to say the least!

Thanks for all the kind words and compliments. I'm a hack woodworker, but I'm getting better and I really enjoy my shop time.
T