What's new

Avanti issue

PLUSH

Some random brother
Rating - 100%
231   0   0
I bought one of the 28 bottles that was on sale on Target about a month back. Things seemed great, cleaned it with baking soda and water, let it air out to get the smell out and cleaned it one more time. Loaded it up, set up the beads, the oasis, etc. Everything looked good, my hygrometer said 63/65. However, the temp display on the front said like 53 to 57. I took everything out except the hygrometer and noticed there was condensation coming down from the cooling unit. Strange I thought, as I had raised the temp to 64 (highest it can go). It seems the cooling unit still runs even though the fan is not on as it is below your desired temperature. SOmething did not seem right. My hygrometer read 53 in the back next to the cooling unit, not something I wanted. I called Avanti and told them, they said bring it back. I ordered another, went through the same routine. It does the same thing. I guess in summer this would not be an issue, but in winter when my house it 61 - 67 degrees I would want my cigars to stay around that, not 53. I guess I can unplug it during the winter?

Any else notice theres doing this?

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
you can use an external temp control that will allow you to keep the temp at 69-70 degrees. when the unit cools down to desired temp, external temp control will kill all power to the avanti. so cooling unit will run a lot less, and you should have a lot less condensation.

Rating - 100%
134   0   0
I have kept both of mine unplugged Plush and they stay right around 65-68 in the office, which is kept at 68. If you are keeping your house fairly cool, in the 60's I wouldn't even plug it in.

jwyatt55

Not the mad fladder!
Rating - 100%
110   0   0
you can use an external temp control that will allow you to keep the temp at 69-70 degrees. when the unit cools down to desired temp, external temp control will kill all power to the avanti. so cooling unit will run a lot less, and you should have a lot less condensation.
What Ron said.

Rating - 100%
35   0   0
my edgestar does the same thing... i just leave it unplugged and it stays around 65 in winter. and in the summer i use a light timer i got from home depot for like 5 bucks to control the temp.

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Mine is set at 64, and at night when it gets colder, it drops to about 59-60... not sure why cause my house is always 72... but it does....

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
yep that's how mine is set up. I have a johnson external temp controller, but the one below is cheaper and seems to be made much better than the Johnson and several guys here use this one.

http://www.climatedoctors.com/items/item.aspx?itemid=429705

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I got one about the same time and have yet to plug it in...it's holding 67*-65% consistently. I'll plug it in this summer when it gets hot & the house temp goes up to 75* or so.

Hardcore

BoM April '09
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
I have the same unit & I use an external temp regulator. As for the humidity, take a quarter pound of beads in pantyhose. Put it in the back corner. Only spay the beads a tiny bit. That way it will soak up any extra moister & recirculate it in the Avanti.

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
I just got home... when i left the house at about 3 pm it was at 63 (never goes to 64... even though I have it set at 64)
I got home it was 59.... where the drain should be... water from condensation (i'll have a half pound of 60% beads there when they come in, and 1/2 pound up top...)
I dried out the water, closed the door... 63.
humidity was 72 at the bottom, 62 where most of my smokes are up top and middle...

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
I just got home... when i left the house at about 3 pm it was at 63 (never goes to 64... even though I have it set at 64)
I got home it was 59.... where the drain should be... water from condensation (i'll have a half pound of 60% beads there when they come in, and 1/2 pound up top...)
I dried out the water, closed the door... 63.
humidity was 72 at the bottom, 62 where most of my smokes are up top and middle...

Rating - 100%
134   0   0
Was looking over my 28 bottle that I purchased recently form Target and noticed on the top left there is a gap about 3 inches where the seal doesn't seal against the frame of the cooler and leaves about a 1/8" gap. Anyone else notice this? I hate to return it as they won't exchange it, just refund the purchase price and now they are back to $199.

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Was looking over my 28 bottle that I purchased recently form Target and noticed on the top left there is a gap about 3 inches where the seal doesn't seal against the frame of the cooler and leaves about a 1/8" gap. Anyone else notice this? I hate to return it as they won't exchange it, just refund the purchase price and now they are back to $199.
call them, and talk to a supervisor about it, I'm sure they will make it right. The reason I returned the first one I got was the same as yours... and I'm sure if you look at it, it's dented on the back and the sides are pushed out near the vents.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same exact problem with my recently purchased Avanti. The top left had a gap wide enough to easily slip a piece of paper through, maybe 1/16". (Putting a flashlight inside the unit will make it obvious where any gaps are)
I was aggravated at first, but it was a really easy fix. The door on my unit was mounted poorly. I had to carefully pop off the plastic cover on the top hinge, slightly loosen the screws on the top and bottom hinges, line up the door properly, and retighten the screws. The seal is perfect now.

Hope this helps,
Dan

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
my unit started acting up last night.... the temp was reading 65-then 70... and it was not turning on... I opened the door and heard a "click" and it turned on... then as I closed it "click" and it went off....
I guess something that runs to the control panel is porly mounted and causing it to act up...
gonna try to figuere it out on my own before taking any action.

This blows!!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like we have the same unit as well http://www.target.com/Avanti-mirror-finished-Bottle-Cooler/dp/B0028OZZOM/sr=1-2/qid=1266682314/ref=sr_1_2/177-7111101-8079039?ie=UTF8&search-alias=tgt-index&frombrowse=0&index=target&rh=k:avanti&page=1

I just got mine yesterday and have it in a room that is a constant 69 degrees. I have the unit turned up all the way to 64.... Plugged the unit in over night, woke up this morning, and it was reading 50!!! What the crap is that??

Ill unplug it and throw my hygro in there for a few hours and see what i get. This pisses me off though because that means I just bought a $200 igloo....

In the meantime, Im going to explore some internal heating options...nothing that will be a danger to the unit, or the smokes...Ive got a few reptile breeders buddy's that will know what to do. I know Exo-terra makes a heat pad for reptiles. Its a plastic film with a copper element inside to bring temps up and stabilize them.... We'll see what happens...

Phiberglass

Robusto
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Before doing internal heating options, take a look at external temperature monitors. That way the unit can only kick on when it's above 64 and will stop when it gets to 64. You could also try one of those timers that plug in to the wall and the power cord plugs into the timer. Then just have that run evevery hour or for 2 hours a few times a day or something.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before doing internal heating options, take a look at external temperature monitors. That way the unit can only kick on when it's above 64 and will stop when it gets to 64. You could also try one of those timers that plug in to the wall and the power cord plugs into the timer. Then just have that run evevery hour or for 2 hours a few times a day or something.
this model, when unplugged and plugged back in, resets everything to 54 degrees... so the Ranco ETC, or timers wont work.

The reason why I went with this Avanti over the Edgestar was the external temp adjustment. They both were the same price, but with the Edgestar I'd have to get the Ranco ETC, which was another $75...