What's new

Beetle questions

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Does anyone have a reference as to the proper freezing temperature, and the length of time needed to kill beetles and their eggs? I've heard -20 degrees Celsius and -80 degrees Celsius.

Also, how cold do household freezers get?

Greg, I'd have to go searching for the thread, but someone over at CW looked into this, and you just have to leave the cigars in a household freezer for a longer period of time. I want to say you need to go at least 3 days, but I don't remember. I don't freeze. (Knock on wood).

OK, here it is: Link

It all depends on the temperature of your freezer. Figures are to kill 95%, so best to increase the time to get 'em all.

5c (41f) requires ~12 days (275 hours)
0c (32f) requires ~9 days (220 hours)
-5c (23f) requires ~4 days (100 hours)
-10c (14f) requires less than 24 hours
-15c (5f) requires less than 24 hours
-20c (-4f) requires less than 24 hour

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
truth is I have not heard anything "specific" about beetles in Cubans, all references have been concerning NC's

edit:::: just read about a box of Bolivars that came in with beetles...so ignore what I said earlier.

Thanks. I seem to remember reading somewhere in the last couple of years that Cuba was starting to freeze all stock before shipping. So as you are hearing mostly about NC stock, my assumption is the odd CC you hear about is probably somewhat aged stock. Further, my curiousity was due to all the new NC brands and boutique brands coming on to the market right now. Some of these brands are bound to have less strict QC controls for things like this and therefore lend themselves to possible beetle outbreaks. Just my opinion of course.

jkorp

~-{B'lieve Hon}-~
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
EvanS, you mentioned hearing about beetles more recently. I'm not on that many boards...any idea if you are hearing about it more in terms of Cuban or NC tobacco?
I think the most have been Cuban, but there have been at least 1 Non that I can recall off the top of my head. It's hard to tell and root cause. If the sticks are all kept together who knows where the bugger came from.

I had a larva in the foot of a BGM a while ago, that was my wake up call. I've heard others having larva in BGM's also, so maybe that factory has a problem.

Does anyone have a reference as to the proper freezing temperature, and the length of time needed to kill beetles and their eggs? I've heard -20 degrees Celsius and -80 degrees Celsius. What is the industry standard?

This was from another board:

5c (41f) requires ~12 days (275 hours)
0c (32f) requires ~9 days (220 hours)
-5c (23f) requires ~4 days (100 hours)
-10c (14f) requires less than 24 hours
-15c (5f) requires less than 24 hours
-20c (-4f) requires less than 24 hours

But I've seen that most agree 3 days is sufficient. Household Freezer are suppose to be between 0-5F, so according to the chart a day would be enough, but I always go with at least 2.

EvanS

No Lemmings
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Does anyone have a reference as to the proper freezing temperature, and the length of time needed to kill beetles and their eggs? I've heard -20 degrees Celsius and -80 degrees Celsius. What is the industry standard?

A fridge/freezer probably not gonna get much less that 0 to 10F (except the newer fancy models will hold 0F pretty good). A true chest freezer in good shape should give you 0F minimum, -20F would not be unheard of.

But best to simply get a thermometer and verify

jkorp

~-{B'lieve Hon}-~
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
All 3 of us found and posted the same info, damn we're good.

And then you go and delete it Evan .... :stretchgr

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
But I've seen that most agree 3 days is sufficient. Household Freezer are suppose to be between 0-5F, so according to the chart a day would be enough, but I always go with at least 2.
The three days comes from the normal freezer temp of a household freezer which tends to be at 0 F. 0F equates to about -17C which falls into the "under 24 hours" noted above. The 3 days comes from: 1 day for the stogies to get to 0 F, 1 day to kill 95% of those little bastages that might be in there (note the chart states temps to kill 95%, not 100%) and another day to get the last 5% and make sure that they are ALL dead.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I'm going for a day in the fridge to get used to the cols, 3 days in the freezer, and another day in the fridge to warm up. Then a monthin the humi. They are all going in tonight. I may just have to keep a couple out to smoke over the next month. They will just go in the tupperware.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I'm a tad anal retentive I toss them into the freezer for a week pull them out and toss them in the fridge for 2 days and then toss them back in the freezer for another week before thawing them and placing them in the humi. I don't know why I started doing this but I figure a couple of days in the fridge and back in the freezer would ensure I'd massacre the max number of bugs possible.

jkorp

~-{B'lieve Hon}-~
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm a tad anal retentive I toss them into the freezer for a week pull them out and toss them in the fridge for 2 days and then toss them back in the freezer for another week before thawing them and placing them in the humi. I don't know why I started doing this but I figure a couple of days in the fridge and back in the freezer would ensure I'd massacre the max number of bugs possible.

Hey you gotta do what you gotta do, but if you want my opinion, and you probably don't, that is way overkill. 3 days in the freezer should be more than enough.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Hey you gotta do what you gotta do, but if you want my opinion, and you probably don't, that is way overkill. 3 days in the freezer should be more than enough.

I agree but like I said I'm anal retentive or may be suffering from OCD:eyepoke: either way better safe than sorry