What's new

Best Wine Cooler for a wineador?

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I thought I read somewhere that most, if not all Avantis are compressor cooled, not thermoelectric. Anyone know for sure?

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I've had the 28 ct Vinotemp for over a year now. With custom drawers from Forest, this baby is rock solid. Holds 66F without issue in my old Florida house that frequently gets into the upper 80's inside in the summer.

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
My only problem with Venotemps are once the power is interrupted, it is reset to 55 instead of the 65 I have it set to. So if the power goes out while I'm out of town, the RH will not be stable. I like how my Edgestar has an analog dial, so it won't go to a preset
That being said, I trust my Vinotemp more than the Edgestar as far as reliability goes.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up my vinotemp 28 bottle for $50 off craigslist and I love it.. keep your eyes out around your area for good deals

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
My only problem with Venotemps are once the power is interrupted, it is reset to 55 instead of the 65 I have it set to.
THANK YOU! I came here to ask this. I was looking at buying one of these soon. Anyone know any brands that specifically do not do this? My cheapo 8 bottle does this and it drives me crazy.

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0
You could always look into getting an ups as a temporary backup power supply/surge protector to keep the temperature from resetting if you power fluctuates or goes off for a few

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I hope not to burst any bubbles, but I had a Venotemp 28 bottle wine cooler a few years back, I just bought a Newair. After I got it unpacked and set up, I have to say it looks runs and sounds indentical to the Venotemp I had earlier. I'm thinking that there isn't much of a difference in any of the standard 28 bottle thermoelectric wine coolers. just my 2 cents.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
You could always look into getting an ups as a temporary backup power supply/surge protector to keep the temperature from resetting if you power fluctuates or goes off for a few
This is what I have recently done... $52 at office max.. And my problem was solved (power flickers here once every couple of months for one reason or another)....

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I have a big ups that I'm not using for anything else anymore, so that's the plan, though I'd still rather find one that can retain the previous setting without it.

Rating - 98.7%
91   1   2
I have a Fridigaire 35 bottle that is compressed. I knew from reading threads on here that you can't use the compressor. I just turned it off on the dial inside and was still able to use the light on the inside.

After a while I removed the switch that turned the light inside on and off, installed a computer fan for circulation and hooked it up to a timer to run every so often.

I've had the unit for almost 2 years an never had a problem with it. Seals great, don't have to worry about it shitting the bed because I'm not using anything that can eventually burn out.

I took out the wire rack and bought some cheap wood at Home Depot to make some shelves until I can save up the $$ to get nice ones from Forest.

Sorry I went off on a tangent but I don't really think its all about the thermoelectric units. It's all about a good seal. If you can get something that will hold humidity then get it.

I'm sure if you already haven't asked, your next question will be what to use for humidification. I swear by kitty litter. I'm not trying to start the debate, just my 2¢.

Good luck with your project!

Zedman05

Fiend4theLeaf
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I have posted on this topic a bunch of times about my thoughts; I have a unit that has a compressor, and works fantastic. The difference between mine and most wine coolers is that mine has "plate cooling" in the back. There is no fan to circulate air through an evaperator coil, hence reducing the amount of moisture removed. If you can find one with just a plate in the back, it will run down to whatever temp you want, and not remove much humidity, that is what they are made for.
Just for reference, mine is a Haier.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Well, Mr. Murphy strikes again. Storms in the area today knocked my power out for an hour and half. Came home and my Vinotemp was running at 55 F. RH was done 13% to 52%. I might need to invest in a UPS. That is the one and only downside of this wineador.