What's new

Building my first coolidor

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was recommend the aquarium activated charcoal from a BOTL when prepping my wineador. It worked perfect when nothing else would/could removed the strong plastic odor. Can be found at Petsmart for under $10.
FYI most B&M's have boxes for free or a couple bucks if you don't find any on here.
Good luck with your project.

Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I was recommend the aquarium activated charcoal from a BOTL when prepping my wineador. It worked perfect when nothing else would/could removed the strong plastic odor. Can be found at Petsmart for under $10.
FYI most B&M's have boxes for free or a couple bucks if you don't find any on here.
Thanks for the tip.

Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Thanks for the tip.
yup I went the same route with the activated charcoal, this is the brand i grabbed:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002566WE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So believe it or not, those foot oder pads for your shoes, they are active charcoal, you get the non-scented ones and toss them in. I saw a blurb about them on the science channel, because of how they are made they have an amazing amount of surface space, which is what the charcoal needs to absorb oders, they did a test with a fridge with bad fish in it, the 'shoe inserts' got rid of the odor way faster than anything else, I used them for a couple winadors and they rocked.

You can always google it if you want to check.

Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Ok fellas. The coolidor is steady at 64%-66% rh. I do have another question though. Currently, aside from boxes, I am using two cheap chinese made humidors that I have taken apart as trays for my singles. I have an actual tray scheduled for delivery tomorrow. My problem is, how do I season it with my coolidor already 3/4 full of sticks? Would it be ok to just stick the new tray in and load it up, and let it season that way?

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Ok fellas. The coolidor is steady at 64%-66% rh. I do have another question though. Currently, aside from boxes, I am using two cheap chinese made humidors that I have taken apart as trays for my singles. I have an actual tray scheduled for delivery tomorrow. My problem is, how do I season it with my coolidor already 3/4 full of sticks? Would it be ok to just stick the new tray in and load it up, and let it season that way?
I would advise against it as that would suck moisture straight out of your cigars and throw your RH off. If you have a Ziploc or Tupperware large enough for the tray, or maybe another clean cooler, pre-season in that. You could tie it up tight in a big garbage bag for a bit, too. Either way, I would try to get it close to your target RH, THEN load it up and toss it in. Good luck!

Rating - 100%
71   0   0
I would advise against it as that would suck moisture straight out of your cigars and throw your RH off. If you have a Ziploc or Tupperware large enough for the tray, or maybe another clean cooler, pre-season in that. You could tie it up tight in a big garbage bag for a bit, too. Either way, I would try to get it close to your target RH, THEN load it up and toss it in. Good luck!
I was actually thinking about using the garbage bag. Thanks!