What's new

Consistent 70% Humidity is Impossible

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
From my experiences, PG is a gimmick. Distilled water works the same, and is suitable for use with gel and beads. I've used both with Xikar jars, beads, and other types of humidification and there was no noticeable difference between the PG and the distilled water.

TYLER

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
i guess that different people have different experiences with different products. thats why there are many choices. while you have not had good experience with PG, it has been used with good results for many years by cigar smokers. PG is also used by other industries to control humidity. 1 of the 1st products to use gel crystals, distilled water, and PG is the Drymistat tube. still selling and performing well after many years. I use PG myself in a large igloo, and its performance is as advertised.

Can somebody use distilled water only in gel, and get good results? yes, but the conditions have to be right.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
lets move on too seasoning, Bovedas, and Beads.

Just about every humidor is made from MDF. The spanish cedar is just a thin veneer. Its there for smell, and just so the words spanish cedar can be used in advertising. Truthfully, I dont see how you can really season wood that is made out of a lot of glue. Should you season your desktop? sure, there are other wood parts in there, and I am sure that the MDF will season a little bit. But it wont season the same way as does a humidor that is made by Arlin Liss. Arlin uses THICK, REAL spanish cedar to line his humidors. That thick spanish cedar sucks up a lot of moisture. When it is seasoned, it provides a lot of humidity for the inside of the humidor. as a result of the thick spanish cedar, your passive humidifier has to do a lot less work. A thin spanish cedar veneer cant really suck up much moisture.

the result of MDF and this veneer is that your humidor relies much more upon your humidifier to keep proper humidity. Bovedas work awesome in an airtight humidor, or a humidor like Arlins. When you use Bovedas in a budget desktop, sometimes the Bovedas just cant release humidity fast enough to match the humidity that is leaking or seeping out of the desktop. Same deal with beads, the leakier your desktop, the more you need.

in large cabinets, your electronic humidification solves any problem. Desktops can be tougher.
Define thick please.