What's new

Different humidity for aging?

Rating - 100%
179   0   0
At the time I would try to keep all my cigars between 67-70. I was telling Justin of my disapointment with cc's from time to time and he suggested I dry box them for a day or two before I smoke a cc. Once trying that, my enjoyment with cc's turned around and now prefer an occasional cc here and there. Later he suggested I keep my cc's at a lower rh than my nc's; I've been doing that ever since and now I no longer need to dry box and they perform very well. Currently I use 65rh Boveda bags for all my cc's and many nc's. Still prefer some nc's higher though but that is becoming less and less.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
OK, I'm still stuck. I've tried to do some reading on it and I can't seem to find a solid answer to the RH level for aging CC for long periods.
Again a range from 65-70% so I'm guessing where I have my wineador at is fine. I keep my CC boxes at 65 degrees and 70% Rh.
If any of the brothers out there have a fair amount of experience with long term aging I'm all ears.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
I've never heard of anyone knowledgeable in the CC world aging at 70%, or even storing short term at 70%. I can see someone using a higher Rh for cigars they will smoke now, but most everyone I know and read about do 65% at the most and more like low 60's for storage, even high 50's for some. I personally keep mine around 61-64%. I keep boxes that I will go through in the higher Rh part of my cabinet and my long term cigars in the lower part.

BigFoot

Jose
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I've never heard of anyone knowledgeable in the CC world aging at 70%, or even storing short term at 70%. I can see someone using a higher Rh for cigars they will smoke now, but most everyone I know and read about do 65% at the most and more like low 60's for storage, even high 50's for some. I personally keep mine around 61-64%. I keep boxes that I will go through in the higher Rh part of my cabinet and my long term cigars in the lower part.
Gotta agree here with Ryan, I pretty much do the same thing with my cabinet. I try to keep it around 63 but its anywhere from 62-64%. I try to sample the boxes that are open and I'm aging just to see how things are coming along. There's really not a swing of humidity in my cabinet or I'd do the same thing.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
In my case is almost impossible to achive 65F with 65RH :( - My country is too hot, and my room stays a little bit more cool but it is always around 77-83F which is kinda high. RH is hard to handle but i've managed to get it to 65%-66%.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My humidor is predominantly boxes of CCs. I store at 64.

Most B&Ms are at 70, because people are going in and out, and a wetter stoge is better than a cracked/dried out stoge. That said, for CCs, I would not recommend higher than 65.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Go with 65temp and 65rh for the next 5 years donk.
Word to your mother....
Jfire
Is there a noticeable difference between aging at 65 RH as opposed to 61-63 RH?
If he were going to store at long term 10 years plus Id say 60-63 would be fine. Probably more agreed upon by many more knowledgeable then I and at this for a lot longer time. I'm guessing that a few of those new boxes Donk acquired may not make it to the 5-7 year mark he has set. And I think CCs even slightly rested(3 yrs), smoke really well at the 65/65 mark. Thus making it a great all around storage for deep sleeping boxes and ones that may be opened every year or so to "test the waters" and see where that current box sits at a certain timeframe. For myself I've smoked CCs at 60rh and they seem to be just slightly dry and the burn rates tend to be a little faster then I'd like.
Jfire

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0
Go with 65temp and 65rh for the next 5 years donk.
Word to your mother....
Jfire
Is there a noticeable difference between aging at 65 RH as opposed to 61-63 RH?
If he were going to store at long term 10 years plus Id say 60-63 would be fine. Probably more agreed upon by many more knowledgeable then I and at this for a lot longer time. I'm guessing that a few of those new boxes Donk acquired may not make it to the 5-7 year mark he has set. And I think CCs even slightly rested(3 yrs), smoke really well at the 65/65 mark. Thus making it a great all around storage for deep sleeping boxes and ones that may be opened every year or so to "test the waters" and see where that current box sits at a certain timeframe. For myself I've smoked CCs at 60rh and they seem to be just slightly dry and the burn rates tend to be a little faster then I'd like.
Jfire
Thanks for the info!