What's new

Digital Hydrometer question

LittleMoe

Bald,Fat and Proud
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
How often do you guys recalibrate yours ??? Mine is only about a year old, and i had to recalibrate it twice in last 4 months ....... it's been about 10 % off both times ...... I used the salt method both times........ It's a Xikar ......and yes i replaced the battery ....... any thoughts????

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Salts for food! Get a Boveda test packet for Hygrometers.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Quality-Importers-HUMI-CALIBRATE-One-Step-Calibration/dp/B000A3UBLA"]Boveda One-Step Calibration Kit: Amazon.com: Home & Kitchen@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/511otnNY0zL.@@AMEPARAM@@511otnNY0zL[/ame]

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
About once a year. They have never been off more then a percent in 3 plus years.
Salt has too many user errors imo.

ATL

BoM 10/12, 9/13, & 8/14
Rating - 100%
342   0   0
I have a boveda that is about to expire, I have to go to the post office in the morning, if you would like it before it expires in a few weeks, let me know.

LittleMoe

Bald,Fat and Proud
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a boveda that is about to expire, I have to go to the post office in the morning, if you would like it before it expires in a few weeks, let me know.

Yes if you dont mind, that would be great !!! Thanks !!! I'll send ya something your way for your troubles !!

ATL

BoM 10/12, 9/13, & 8/14
Rating - 100%
342   0   0
PM me your address and, please, don't send anything. It expires sometime in early april. Although I only used it once and then again last night and all of mine hit 75 again. It's only been opened once or twice. That being said, use it soon and then toss it. But I assure you it will work. The pack inside feels the same as it did when I got it. Its just a salt pack guaranteed to calibrate.

Thecatch83

I smoke Opus like candy!
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
How often do you guys recalibrate yours ??? Mine is only about a year old, and i had to recalibrate it twice in last 4 months ....... it's been about 10 % off both times ...... I used the salt method both times........ It's a Xikar ......and yes i replaced the battery ....... any thoughts????
Use beads and digitals are all but useless.......I have a lbs. of HF's in my cooler, I have added distilled water only once in the past year and both digitals read 65/65........to answer your post, I have never calibrated them other than initial.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
My 2 local B&M's told me there was no need to calibrate my Xikar Digital's. Is this true? Now that I'm seeing this thread its scaring me...Although my analogs are reading close the same as my digital ones. Should I calibrate them?

ATL

BoM 10/12, 9/13, & 8/14
Rating - 100%
342   0   0
My 2 local B&M's told me there was no need to calibrate my Xikar Digital's. Is this true? Now that I'm seeing this thread its scaring me...Although my analogs are reading close the same as my digital ones. Should I calibrate them?
I would go ahead and calibrate. Mine was only off by three degrees but that's why they make them adjustable. .

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
404   0   0
I have not had the best luck calibrating my Xikar hygrometers. Two of the three I have have will not calibrate correctly. I will hit the reset to 75% and within one minute they will revert to 73%. The other one calibrates perfectly. I guess that's what they mean by +/- 2%

Poor quality control at the Chinese factory IMHO.

Last edited:

LittleMoe

Bald,Fat and Proud
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Package arrived today from ATL !!!! THanks Adam !!!!! You were supposed to send the humi-pack but instead sent more !!!!! You do know, this means war !!!!

LittleMoe

Bald,Fat and Proud
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I never thought of the Torano 1959 as a budget smoke !!! haha just a great smoke for the price !!!!!

Thanks again my friend !!!! I'm feelin the BOTL love already !!!

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Easy, simple solution.....

Safety in numbers!

If you have room, you should have at least three hygros in your humi. I have 5.
If they read 65, 65, 66, 47, and 66, then I know that the one reading 47 needs help.

Also, if I only have one hygro, and it happens to be the one that reads 47, I have to spend time determining if the problem is something other than the hygro.

Flip side of that coin is that if all of them are reading 47, then I don't have to waste time wondering if it's the humidifier.

Keep it simple!