What's new

Digital Hydrometer question

LittleMoe

Bald,Fat and Proud
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well it's been close to 24 hours since i put the hydro in the calibration kit ..... It reads 75% !!!!! I guess this confirms that the old salt in a cap in a plastic bag trick really does work !!!!!

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
404   0   0
Well it's been close to 24 hours since i put the hydro in the calibration kit ..... It reads 75% !!!!! I guess this confirms that the old salt in a cap in a plastic bag trick really does work !!!!!
I know that many on this board are big advocates of the Boveda calibration kit but in reality it is just a more convenient (and more expensive) version of the "salt in a cap" method. According to Boveda's website "The One-Step Calibration Kit is a simple and surefire method to accurately calibrate any digital or analog hygrometer or humidity sensor. The One-Step Calibration Kit utilizes Humidipak's 75.5% relative humidity standard, which is widely used and accepted by chemists and lab professionals to determine the accuracy of any hygromter (also known as the "salt test")."

Being the cheap bastard that I am, I have a hard time paying $5 plus shipping to get something that does the same thing as the salt, bottle cap and zip lock bag that cost me 25 cents. In addition, using stuff I already have around the house gives me the flexibility to calibrate my hygros whenever I feel the need. If I have to go online, order it and then wait a week it really isn't very "convenient" IMHO.

To each his own though....just a matter of personal preference.

Rupe

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I've calibrated my hygrometers about twice a year, with a battery replacement about once a year. Costs me roughly $5 a year for batteries, $10 a year for the Boveda packets (I buy one at a time and use it to calibrate my 5 or so hygrometers).

$15 a year ain't bad to protect my cigar investment!

Rupe

Rating - 100%
404   0   0
I've calibrated my hygrometers about twice a year, with a battery replacement about once a year. Costs me roughly $5 a year for batteries, $10 a year for the Boveda packets (I buy one at a time and use it to calibrate my 5 or so hygrometers).

$15 a year ain't bad to protect my cigar investment!
No beef with that ninja buddy. Personally I just don't have the patience to wait a week to get the kit.

Sometimes I go out to a nice resaurant for a steak while other times I just throw one on the grill and cook it myself. Neither one is right or wrong, just different ways of getting the job done.

Rupe

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
No beef with that ninja buddy. Personally I just don't have the patience to wait a week to get the kit.

Sometimes I go out to a nice resaurant for a steak while other times I just throw one on the grill and cook it myself. Neither one is right or wrong, just different ways of getting the job done.

Rupe

I mostly agree, and if you can get it done yourself, I'd probably recommend saving the money!

I personally can't cook a steak as well as the the chef can. Mine come out overdone or underdone. So even if I have the ingredients at home, I'd rather trust the chef with the fancy equipment to cook it for me so I know it's done right, primarily because I don't trust myself to get it done right!

Rupe

Rating - 100%
404   0   0
I mostly agree, and if you can get it done yourself, I'd probably recommend saving the money!

I personally can't cook a steak as well as the the chef can. Mine come out overdone or underdone. So even if I have the ingredients at home, I'd rather trust the chef with the fancy equipment to cook it for me so I know it's done right, primarily because I don't trust myself to get it done right!
I'm with you...If I don't have the experience or desire to do something, I figure it's best to leave it to the experts.

When I finished my basement I did the framing, insulation and electrical. I have the ability to hang the drywall but chose not to (mainly because I suck at it). Plumbing, trim and carpet were done by the experts because I do not have the experience and wanted it done correctly.

When it comes to calibration I started out using the Boveda kit but discovered that doing it on my own with table salt and a baggy is quicker, cheaper and most importantly just as accurate. That's just my preference.

Anyway IMHO either way works just fine.....do what works best for you. :smile: