What's new

Does humid air rise or drop?

openendstraight

Grand Corona
Rating - 100%
118   0   0
All I know is, here in Vegas we have very low Humidity, and when you are outside and smoking a longer stick, it is sometimes so dry that it will dry out before you finish it.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I primarily use large Tupperware bins. It would seem like having an Oust fan or two in the bin would equalize the rH more ... Right?

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
My hygro is my thumb and fore finger. If the cigar is too spongy, I have too much moisture and if it cracks I add some more water to the beads.

It's not like we are running a clinical lab or anything...my cigars all smoke fine and have yet to have any major issues anymore.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
RonC has it right regarding the effect of temperature stratification on the relative humidity reading.

Assuming the temp is consistent throughout the enclosed space, it becomes a vapor pressure issue. The water vapor will permeate the entire space evenly to reach equilibrium, even through the smallest of seams and openings, so by that measure the air throughout your entire humidor is at the same humidity level regardless of the location of your humidity source.

rick12string

Caught in the Crossfire
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
:crosseyed
If the foot on all your cigars are facing true magnetic north and the water vapor in your humidor is properly ionized according to the actual internal volume of the humidor in question, then….then….. :barf:
Sorry :smokingbo

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can appreciate the technical aspects of this topic, but over time have gotten to the point that I prefer the more direct route of practical application because there are so many variables that can effect individual outcome.

In my experience--humidors 4 ft or less I put the active humdifier on the bottom with a fan in the upper area to help balance out if the humidor is tightly packed. 5 ft still on the bottom, but put another outlet higher up so the humidifiers can be moved up easily if the top is too dry. Fans on top. 6 ft & taller- main humidifiers on the bottom of the upper compartment with small humidifier on the bottom of the lower compartment. Fans on top of main compartment & fan at the top of bottom compartment.

May or may not agree with the theoretical, but seems to work for most people.

cheers,
Bob Staebell

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
:crosseyed
If the foot on all your cigars are facing true magnetic north and the water vapor in your humidor is properly ionized according to the actual internal volume of the humidor in question, then….then….. :barf:
Sorry :smokingbo
Bhwahahahah.:laugh:

And that concludes today's lesson, quiz on Friday..

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
You guys got too technical for me. This is a fun hobby. I'll just say humidity rises and leave it at that :rofl:

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
With my Vino, I have my 65% beads in the middle, Oasis on the bottom and fans on top and bottom......see about a +3% higher on the top of the Vino compared to the bottom

Interesting to hear everybody's stories :)

Bart