What's new

Freezerdor on the cheap

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Were I live the summer temps are over 100 daily, it's already starting to warm up a bit, I upgraded from my 120Qt Coolerdor to this freezer this past weekend.

I have it on a Ranco electronic temp control set at 65 with a 2 degree differential.

for humidification I have a couple pounds of Beads in mesh bags,
I also installed a 110V Muffin fan near the bottom pointing up an one side to circulate the air.
I got everything hooked up and stabilized over the weekend, and added my cigars on Monday so far it's doing pretty well, the temp stays pretty close to 65, a few times a day when the freezer comes on the RH drops to about 45, but it comes back up in about 5 minutes, I will add more beads if needed to get it more stable. we'll see how it works when it gets hot, might need to ad active humidification, time will tell.
anyway now I have tons of room, it not pretty but I don't have much into it, and nobody goes in my den anyway.

Attachments

avid toker

Regulator
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I used that kind of storage for a long time. Never needed to plug it in since it sat in my basement which stayed steady around 68 degrees year round. I've long since outgrown it but it served me well for many a year.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
that is sweet. I was thinking of doing that with a dorm sized fridge, let me know how it works for you.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I wanted to get it more stable, so I added some empty cedar boxes, and a couple more pounds of beads, now I have about 5 pounds of beads distributed throughout the freezer, temp varies from 65-67, RH swings from 65-68.
I'm pretty happy with the results, hope it stays this stable during the heat of summer. I think one thing that helps with the stability is it is a deep freezer, the way it works is it pumps freon through the shelves, so it cools evenly, I also have a fan set up on a timer it comes on for 15 mins every 3 hours.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
sounds great! i've been told a refridge/freezer sucks up the humidity. do you compensate for this by the amount of beads you use?

thanks, jeff

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I've always heard that too, but I'm having the opposite happen, when the freezer comes on it does bring the RH down a few points for about 5 minutes, but over the last couple weeks my rh has climed from around 65 to about 68, so i opened the door and ran the fan for a while and it's back down, I'ts going to take some tweaking here and there till I get it to stay were I want it.

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I've always heard that too, but I'm having the opposite happen, when the freezer comes on it does bring the RH down a few points for about 5 minutes, but over the last couple weeks my rh has climed from around 65 to about 68, so i opened the door and ran the fan for a while and it's back down, I'ts going to take some tweaking here and there till I get it to stay were I want it.
I had some higher than desired RH as well after the freezer came on. I figured it was the cold air condensing on the warm (relatively) walls. I added more unmoistened beads and pointed some fans at the walls. No problems ever since.