What's new

Freezerdor on the cheap

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Thanks for the tip, I have been thinking about adding another fan, I'll give that a try.

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
just my 2 cents, but ive heard and read that a desktop humidor holds RH better when it is full of cigars than when its empty. my guess is that it would be the same with your freezerdor. :dunno:

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Matt

I bet thats true, it seems like they would help keep it stable, I'm gonna have to buy a bunch of cigars soon.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I have been seeing some posts that tell how difficult it is to keep RH up in a refrigerator or freezer.
I would like to share my experience with this freezer now that it has been up a while, I use a ranco temp controller to control the temp, it swings from 65-67 degrees, it is a 14 cu ft freezer, and I have about 5 or 6 pounds of crystal clear litter pearls in it, no active humidification at all.
since my last post, I have added several boxes of cigars, and humidity is staying between 64-66.
I have not had to add any water since I set it up a few months ago. I do have the fan inside circulating the air 15 mins 4 times a day.
it has been trouble free, much easier than the desktop or coolerdor I had.
one thing that may be different about this than some freezers is the shelves are wire grid, so it gets good circulation, it is also a deep freezer, so the cooling actually passes through the tubing of the shelves. and there is no exchange of outside air.
for those of you who are having hot temps coming or want mass storage, i would recomend this.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
it's basically the same principle as a desktop or coolerdoor, the only time outside air can get it is when I open it.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
I am very surprised you do not need an Oasis or other small to mid-sized active RH system for that large of a box. Well done getting that to work for you and using of the KL beads to save money.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Just thought I would put an update on this project, in case anybody has thought about going this route.

it's been just a couple weeks shy of a year now, and this freezer is almost full, it has held temp and rh great, by using a Ranco temp controller and several pounds of the silica gel litter.

BUT, the compressor on the freezer finally went out yesterday, I'm not sure if it because the temp control has it coming on more often than a freezer normaly would, I have had it set at 65 with a 2 degree swing, or if might have just been it's time to go ( I got the freezer used).

we moved into a smaller place recently, so I think it might be time to look for a more attractive way to store my smokes, I'm probably going with a wine cellar or, beverage center that is small enough to keep in a closet.

I have approx 80 boxes of cigars that I might have to thin down to 20 or so boxes, depending on which option I go with for my future storage.

overall it has been a good solution, but might be better suited to cooler areas that wont need to depend on the cooling.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Yeah, I need to look into those,
they are very nice, and would last the rest of my life.
that might just be the answer, I do have some time, to save for one before it gets hot here.

thanks for the suggestion.

rabbgp

Savor
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I have a small refrig that I would like to convert. Is there a link or thread somewhere that describes how to install the Ranco temp controller?