What's new

how do I condition beads?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hygrometer is really good. I got it from an avian supply company and I tested it a few times.

I'm thinking about just getting some more small Rubbermaid lunch boxes, some more 8 gram Bovedas, and using those and forgetting the humidor altogether. It's getting to be too much of a pain. I'm also looking into HCM beads because they work differently from silica beads (they don't have a specific RH that they are conditioned to work at). I still like the fact that beads absorb ammonia, it definitely improves the cigar smoking experience.

I'm using Cigar Mechanic beads. If you directly wet them, they start to pop and fizzle and later, make dust everywhere. So I'm using it along with other humidification so I don't directly wet them. They are mostly clear looking with a few that are white.
FWIW, I converted to kitty litter (KL) and will never go back. However, I use a boveda pack in each of my tupperdors, but only after I got my KL stabilized. You mentioned you have a good hygrometer, which is paramount.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may just try kitty litter because so many people have had good results with it. I think I need more beads because my stash is so small, whenever I open the lid the humidity drops a lot and it takes hours to get back up. Also, adding some wood from old cigar boxes might help.