What's new

How to cool a desktop Humi?

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
air condition one room and keep them in there
that is what i ended up doing last year. the weather was so hot, with 100+ days a routine thing. put everything in one room, and put an AC in it! haven't had any problems, with the exception of my electric bill going up about $40.

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Donk, what I did before I got a cooled cabinet was to put the desktops right into a 48 quart igloo. I got several 1/2 gallon milk jugs and froze water in them. Placing one right on top of the closed cooler (outside, not inside) and cover it up with a folded bath towel for added insulation. Put a small towel (kitchen size) underneath for condensation.

They would last about 12 hours before thawing out, so I'd switch them first thing in the morning and then again 12 hours later. My apartment was about 74, 75 degrees but this kept them right at 68 degrees in the cooler. Having the cooling source outside the igloo kept the temp inside from dropping too low. Beads held the RH w/no problem.

It did cause some condensation on the inside of the cooler lid, so I'd put another kitchen towel over the top of the humis.

Once I got into the routine of doing this every day, it was easy. (Of course, not as easy as a Staebell Aristocrat! :wink: )

Good luck!

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
air condition one room and keep them in there
Hello!!! This makes the most sense!!!!

If you are having problems keeping the temperature constant, and therefore the relative humidity, you need to find a way of keeping the air temperature more constant. There are relatively cheap air conditioners that can be set to keep a certain temperature. This would be much less expensive than buying a cooled unit, which are really only necessary in very hot climates imho. I certainly don't think you need one in Wisconsin. It's also alot easier to regulate than ice blocks in coolers.

Just my .02 cents.

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Hello!!! This makes the most sense!!!!

If you are having problems keeping the temperature constant, and therefore the relative humidity, you need to find a way of keeping the air temperature more constant. There are relatively cheap air conditioners that can be set to keep a certain temperature. This would be much less expensive than buying a cooled unit, which are really only necessary in very hot climates imho. I certainly don't think you need one in Wisconsin. It's also alot easier to regulate than ice blocks in coolers.

Just my .02 cents.
this is what i do. i move all my humis into the bedroom where i constanly have the A/C cranked in the summer. keeps em between 65-68

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
i got it!!!!!!!!!!!! bring your humis over here and ill watch em for ya!!!!!!!!

(there would be a storage fee of course.....) :rolling:

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
yeah tell me about it. That is why I have a hard time keeping the humi's cool.
Well I say that because the condo I'm in now is 2 story and you can definitely tell a difference. Also, one side gets sun all day while the other side gets absolutely no sun, it's always shaded.

How much are you gonna spend? May'be a window unit or a portable a/c unit?

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Go to Target, buy an Avanti wine cooler, then buy an external device to control the temp, finally get some beads. Here in Florida this is what I've had to do.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Depends on the wine cooler.

My old cheaper 12 bottle Avanti unit ran pretty much constantly without the temp regulator, and at the warmest setting it wouldn't get much warmer than about 62º, which was too cold IMHO.

My new Vinotemp unit has a built-in digital temp switch, but it isn't terribly accurate. I set it at 68º and it would swing from 65º to 72º degrees--way too much fluctuation. However, with the external Ranco ETC set at 68º, both coolerdors hold their temp perfectly all day, everyday...within a degree or two.

I'd *really* recommend using an external temp switch if you're going to get a wine coolerdor.