What's new

Humidity in tupperdor

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Good point. Prior to making the jump to KL, I did a LOT of research. I probably over-thought a lot of the steps but I didn't want to mess anything up. Just adding in KL may not work for some people. Luckily I was also in the process of seasoning my new humidor so I had the liberty of allowing my RH to go all over the place (50-80%). Each day I'd either add or take away KL/water to adjust as needed. Once it settled in at 65% I started adding my cigars. Ever since then all I've had to do is add a tablespoon of water every few months and my hydration needs are set
my point exactly, not as easy as taking the cello off a boveda, and just dropping it in.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to re-calibrate my hygrometer, leaving it in for at least 48hrs. I seasoned my spanish cedar pieces yesterday and they are in the container. Right now the digital hygrometer reads 64/65. The crystal jar is a Xikar 4oz crystal jar. Maybe i got to big of a crystal jar.

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
It definitely takes time for things to stabilize. I've been testing to see how long a 5 finger bag will hold humidity, and it took several hours for the hygro to stay at a single number. I really think 24-48 hours is the best to see how things are looking overall, and then you can start making adjustments. Its rough when you want to 'get it right, fast' but these things just don't seem to work that way.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It definitely takes time for things to stabilize. I've been testing to see how long a 5 finger bag will hold humidity, and it took several hours for the hygro to stay at a single number. I really think 24-48 hours is the best to see how things are looking overall, and then you can start making adjustments. Its rough when you want to 'get it right, fast' but these things just don't seem to work that way.
Yea and I am sorta of a perfectionist, I like things done right the first time, then when they are not I get mad at myself. Even the simplest things can be frustrating cause i want it to be correct the first time. But I am letting the hygrometer sit for at least another day or 2. Then hopefully I can put it in the container along with the crystal jar and finally put my cigars in. I am planning on letting the cigars sit for a few days, my gf is coming down and she wants to smoke her first ever cigar.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To update Its been 3 days now and I finally decided to calibrate it. I put it in the container and the numbers started to go down. 75, 74, 73, 72, 71, 70. And went all the way down to 65. So i took out the xikar 4oz gel jar and my hygrometer as of right now is on 68/68. The container has peices of cedar in it. As well as the cigars i put in. I dont know what to do if the numbers keep going down.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Always interesting when it comes to any kind of media that is used. I've read for years about beads, KL, gels, et al and every type of media has its fan club. 20 humidors that range from 25 all the way to 500 ( wood and tupperador ) and all of them with KL convince me of what I use. I've used everything else and KL is easy and inexpensive and calibrates to a RH that I want within a day. I like 65% and as long as tupperware is in a good environment in your home it will function as well as anything out there. Putting it in an environment that is detrimental to the contents just doesn't seem to be the smart course....cold, hot, too much sun, etc. will have an effect for sure so common sense should prevail and keeping it out of direct sunlight...in an environment that is between 60 and 75 degrees will be successful. For those who don't like the media or think it's too hard to adjust then by all means use another media.