What's new

Humidor project

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I finally have most of my materials gathered for my humidor project, the only thing I'm missing is the cedar lining, which should be arriving next week (too cheap to pay for faster shipping on stuff for myself) however I'm going to start prepping so all I have to do is line my box. So here's the idea, I had a bunch of left over maple from a staircase I did, and got ahold of some black walnut for inlays, so the main box will be clear maple, with the black walnut to make all the corners, and a curved lid, I can't make up my mind if I want to use the maple or the black walnut for the lid, I'll just have too see how it looks on e the main box is put together. Im going to age it, and use rubbed bronze hardware to help with the "age" I'm looking for. The final size should be around 200 sticks, but include multiple aging drawers.

Gonna see if I can't load some pics of the raw materials I have, or at least try to figure it out, lol

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
At first I was like man I could never do that ...then it dawned on me unused to build speaker boxes which were huge (held 4 15s) and airtight. Maybe just maybe.... Maybe ill just watch yours first lol

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm gonna to ally start gluing everything together tonight, let it sit a few days clamped up in the garage (probably closer to a week since I won't get to play with it again till next weekend ) I went looking through my stash of job left overs, and found some blue foam insulation, so I figure I'm gonna oversize it as much as possible so I can utilize the insulation. I'm fully aware that I need a wineador, living in florida it's a garauntee(unless you don't mind outrageous electric bill) so I'm trying to figure a way to include some form of cooling into this, it's just a thought for now, I have a few ideas, ranging from simple dry ice to robbing a very small wineador of its cooling system....

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I can't wait to see the project. I have some maple and Brazilian Cherry laying around and was thinking of making one myself. Are you going with cedar veneer or 1/4 inch? If you don't mind saying where did you buy the cedar from?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I can't wait to see the project. I have some maple and Brazilian Cherry laying around and was thinking of making one myself. Are you going with cedar veneer or 1/4 inch? If you don't mind saying where did you buy the cedar from?
This is where I ordered from

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CC4QFjAA&url=http://lumberforsale.com/LUMBERFORSALE.COM%20LUMBER%20PICTURES.htm&ei=g5dhUeS_BI3s8gSzooHgDw&usg=AFQjCNFkBv8viXSfeYqwd-1M5kh0Uh06sw

I found the. With google, I'm using 1/4 inch thick Kiln dried Spanish cedar, I thought about a veneer, but decided against it, I have been known to way overbuild stuff.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This is where I ordered from

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CC4QFjAA&url=http://lumberforsale.com/LUMBERFORSALE.COM%20LUMBER%20PICTURES.htm&ei=g5dhUeS_BI3s8gSzooHgDw&usg=AFQjCNFkBv8viXSfeYqwd-1M5kh0Uh06sw

I found the. With google, I'm using 1/4 inch thick Kiln dried Spanish cedar, I thought about a veneer, but decided against it, I have been known to way overbuild stuff.
Thanks! Nothing wrong with overbuilding if you ask me.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just some updated pics, I brought my newly glued maple to work to cut to size and never got to it. Hopefully I'll have some time to tinker with it this weekend, as long as it doesn't take all day Saturday to replace the intake gaskets on my work truck....

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Looks great! I'm following this with a lot of interest as I'm thinking about trying this myself. Your glue ups look solid and I'm excited to see how the rest turns out.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So after a lot of searching, I finally found the pieces to this, I moved and they got shuffled away in the bottom of a box, that wound up stored with my mechanic tools and truck parts, so needless to say, everything is well soaked in motor oil, thanks to a poorly placed 5 quart jug. The cedar is trash, but I think the maple is salvageable...... Gonna "air" it all out for a while, then kiss it with some flame and see what I end up with, it's either gonna be really cool, or straight up junk.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Got back into the shed today to look at my maple, and it's considerably dried out, just a light film on the boards now. Gonna give em another week or so and see how they feel, I'm still gonna give em a little kiss with some flame to burn off whatever might be on the outsides, and I've been looking into some no-voc sealers to use on the inside of the box. We'll see what happens, even if it ends up not being right for a humidor, it'll make a damn good jewelry box for the future wife, we just got engaged. Regardless, I'm gonna try to order new cedar this weekend, I found some beautiful rough sawn mahogany in out materials storage, so I might just build one out if that....