What's new

Hygrometers and Calibrating

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Jason, the Caliber III says it's spot on from the factory and that you should NOT calibrate it. I have one Caliber III, one round Xikar (newer version), and one round hygroset. I calibrated the Xikar and Hygro set in the same Bovida pack two weeks ago and they are exact of each other but about a 5% difference in the Caliber III should I trust one more than the other?

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Lee,

What you are seeing with that statement from Western is a combination of marketing misinformation. First of all, they say:
Unlike analog gauges, the Caliber III never requires calibration, there are no springs to stretch or moving parts to wear out.
This is a reference to the mechanical analog hygrometers. What they are saying is true for every digital hygrometer out there. That doesn't mean they don't need to be calibrated, just that they don't have the same calibration issues as an analog.

The second part is that they say not to perform the salt test. That is the important part. Just because performing the salt test is ONE way to calibrate a hygrometer does not mean it is the same as using a Boveda kit to do so. Totally different things. Western is simply protecting their warranty so that people can't attempt to send the hygrometer back when they spill salt water all over the hygrometer while trying to perform the salt test.

You ABSOLUTELY should use a Boveda pack to calibrate EVERY SINGLE digital hygrometer. There is no danger, there is no damage that the Boveda can cause to the Caliber III. Western claims +/- 1%. Personally, I don't buy that. Nowadays you can actually test that yourself.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Jason, both Hygro's inside a Ziplock with a Boveda Pack. The Hygroset it's obviously out of calibration! it's above 67%! I'm letting it sit a few more hours. THe Caliber it's at 65% ;)

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Let everything sit there for at least 24 hours undisturbed. Even better would be 48 hours. Even Even better, get everything in a small tupperware-style container and let it sit for 48 hours. My guess is you will find out that yes, the hygroset is out of calibration and you will need to adjust it. Calibers are good, no question. It's nice to have a digital that is spot on when you can't adjust them!

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Update: Calibrated the Hygroset to 65%. The beads were at 64% so i talked to Michael (HCMBEads guy) and told him that i was going to raise that 1% with 2 bovedad packets of 65%, he thought it was a good idea.

I left the beads with the packets for 2 days, results? 65% exactly. Probably sometimes 66% because of my ambient temps and humi. Removed the packets and beads stayed at 65%. SO now I put the beads on their respective humis with 1 boveda packet on each humi. I'm so happy I finally finished my humidor issues for now!