What's new

I Made The Switch

blessednxs65

Is it Nicaraguan
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
As a proponent of Boveda Packs for limited maintenance on my humi's I have come over to the Beads!!!

While in a local shop in Pleasanton I was convinced by the owner to forego the purchase of 8 Boveda Packs and to switch to the Beads. He states that properly maintained, these can last me up to 5 years (this I will have to see to believe) but, just on cost alone, the decision was justified.

So I dropped over $80 on these things plus one of the new Hoya Tradicion's and one of the Drew Estate Liga Privada #9's. I will let you all know how they smoke in a couple of weeks.

If it matters at all, I held a Padron 80th in my hand and was soooooooooo tempted, I just could not lay out $ 44.00 for it of $61.00 for a Forbidden X. Especially when I found the Padron here http://www.cvmcigars.com/c-260-padrn-80th-anniversary-cigar.aspx for $34 which by the way, is still outside of my comfort level.

Back to the Beads. If any of you Bead Experts want to offer some advice on them, their use, how often to fill, what to look for and the like, I am open to your help

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
There are many different kinds of containers you can use for the beads, I currently use pantyhose for mine, I just dump them in and tie a knot at the top. Very easy to use a spray bottle to lightly mist the beads with distilled water. Never just dump water on the beads, it can crack and damage them.

These things are about as user friendly as it gets...a 5 year old could use them. You'll be very happy with your switch. I currently have a pound in my cabinet humidor and they are working fabulously..so they're not just for small desktops or coolidors.

Hendy

BoM Oct 08 / BoM Oct 09
Rating - 100%
575   0   0
I got a 4 oz and a 2 oz for my 300 humi.

I got the "tubed" version.

How do you tell when you have them about 70% damp? Do you spray it until the beads stop shaking on the insde. It's really hard to tell with the white outer cover.

BradMc

<b>Charity Liaison</b><br>BoM September 07
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
I use the bag, and a dish, I used the tubs for a while....much easyer to maintaine in the bag and dish.....my 2 cents

Hendy

BoM Oct 08 / BoM Oct 09
Rating - 100%
575   0   0
I use panty hose (not used)
If you use the hose, doesn't it get the cedar damp by resting on it?

Also, what is the prefered RH? I purchased the 65. I am thinking I need to go higher.

Oh, and if anyone has an abundance of the beads, I am looking for a elbow. Or I can just get them from our sponsor.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
When I ordered my 70%RH beads off Viper I ordered the mesh bag he has on offer on his site as well toss the beads in there and into your coolidor and you have a stable environment for long term ageing. For one of my humidors I recently bought 65%RH Puckifier from Cigarmony (n2adventure) and its doing great. I'm thinking of ordering some more 65% beads for the rest of my humis the foam is too painful to deal with and seems to mould a little too quickly.