What's new

I'm losing the fight against wetness.

Coolhand

Resident River Rat
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Or, more precisely, I'm losing the fight for wetness.

My humidor is a Craftsman's Bench "Clubhouse" - a glass-top model ...

11 1/2" x 9 1/4" x 3 3/4"

I am striving for 70/70, but here in this arid climate it's a tough battle. I keep the box out of direct sun. There are presently about 65 sticks in it as well as two small bags of pipe tobacco. I refill about every 5 days, alternating between distilled water and prop-glycol. I'm still dropping down around 59% by around the 3rd or 4th day.

Would some humidification beads help? Or do they simply allow you to go longer without refilling? I haven't noticed a decline in quality yet but I'm sure it's possible at the rate I'm going ...

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
you should not be alternating between glycol and distilled water. replace the foam. go with a mix of 70 distilled/30 glycol.

RigilKent

RigilKent
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
beads could help they will keep releasing mosture to keep it at a constant RH i was using water and having a hard time keeping humidity up. got beads now im always at 69-70 Rh good luck also check the seal. put a dollar bill in the seal and if you can pull it out easily your seals not good. hope all goes well

Coolhand

Resident River Rat
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
And which retailer would Ron be? </noob>:grinFU:

Ron - I'm at work right now, so can't be certain, but I don't know if it's possible to open up the humidification unit and replace the foam. It's a large "brick" with a brass faceplate and mesh behind it (the foam is doubtless behind the mesh) and magnets on the back to adhere to the side of the unit.

Any experience, as a retailer, with that particular make/model?

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
THE Avallo is the bomb and will definitely help you out.
I have to agree, but it is out of the budget for me, as it is not cheap. I think you issue lies with the alternating solutions and a clogged foam brick and possible seal issues. The beads are great, though with a bad seal and dry climate, you may be addingwater to the beads more than I do, but who cares, they hold steady.

Coolhand

Resident River Rat
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Uffda. Those are gorgeous setups but kind of out of my price-range. Not to mention I'd have to get rid of a piece of furniture to make room for it. :nodlaugh:

Moglman

Mountain Hound
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I know how it is in this climate. Like has been said, check the seal on the humi. It also may not yet thoroughly conditioned so the humi is still absorbing moisture. Beads are great, and I have cracked open devices that have the green floral foam and replaced the foam with beads. I put just enough in the foot of a pantyhose (cheap knee highs at WalMart 4pr/$1) such that it will spread out and fill the case. My desktops really stink for holding the Rh constant, but I got what I paid for. Most of my cigars are in coolers with beads in the basement. My singles in the desktops require a lot more attention.

sarnone

Mithrandir
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Or, more precisely, I'm losing the fight for wetness.

My humidor is a Craftsman's Bench "Clubhouse" - a glass-top model ...

11 1/2" x 9 1/4" x 3 3/4"
Take it back to Sears, they have a lifetime warranty:bigeyes:

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Check the seal as everyone has mentioned. I keep a humi at my son-in-laws in Phoenix where it is pretty arid and have a pound of beads in it that keeps it well balanced. I get to it every couple of months. Steady as a rock. Sounds like a leak dude.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
And which retailer would Ron be? </noob>:grinFU:

Ron - I'm at work right now, so can't be certain, but I don't know if it's possible to open up the humidification unit and replace the foam. It's a large "brick" with a brass faceplate and mesh behind it (the foam is doubtless behind the mesh) and magnets on the back to adhere to the side of the unit.

Any experience, as a retailer, with that particular make/model?
most of these plastic humidifiers can be pried apart. go to a florist, or Walmart, and get green florist foam called Oasis. Thats the foam that absorbs a lot of water. better yet, send me a pic of the inside lid of your humidor. I might have a spare humidifier that will fit.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta watch out for those glass top humi's. You could have a leak from where the glass meets the wood. Did you properly season the humi before placing smokes inside. Make sure your humi is away from heater vents or anywhere the ambient temp fluctuates alot.

Coolhand

Resident River Rat
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Well, the humidor seems to have passed the dollar test. I placed it the whole way around the edge and tugged. It pulls out, but nowhere does it slide easily. If there are leaks at the seal there's several small ones.

I noticed before I started that my RH is at 59%! :sadpace:

I'm thinking there's a leak between the glass and the wood. Damn annoying.

I'm going to try the coolidor - I do 3-5 trips to Mexico a year and can get boxes of good cigars at good prices, but have not done so due to a lack of storage. No more.

However, I do want to have a readily available (the coolidor will have to go in a crawl-space in my home) humi to hold singles.

I will get you a photo of the unit, Ron, in just a bit.

A couple questions:

- I need advice on a humidor. Nothing real large needed - I literally have about 65 sticks right now and rarely exceed that (and if I do, it will be in the coolidor). Want to avoid a glass top, I think. I'm not *sure* I need a new one -- this one IS new, dammit (just replaced my old one as I outgrew it).

-- I know that lots of dead air in a humidor is bad; any harm to your RH that can come from being too full? It's rather packed at the moment ...

The Avallo is gorgeous but I'm not prepared to spend that kind of money. There will come a day, but it's not today.

- What kind/quantity of beads should I be getting from Heartfelt? What other recommendations might you make?

Will get you some photos directly Ron.