What's new

Keeping my coolidor cool

cmhicksusmc

Corporal/USMC
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I purchased a Coleman extrema 5 on sale at Walmart for 30$ I then purchased weather stripping meant to seal doors windows etc. And lined the openings of the box. After doing so I put a bright light in and closed it to see where the light was coming out and seal those spots specifically. After that I placed baking soda inside to absorb any odors. Then purchased a lb of HF 65% beads. Which is overkill I know. And seasoned my many boxes with distilled water before placing them in. I recently calibrated my hygrometer and it accurate but I've never gotten lower than 66% or higher than 69% but my temp was consistently at 72 degrees. So I placed my cooler in front of the ac vent here at the barracks and its about 61 degrees consistently. Seeing as how you don't have ac I can see how ice packs might work or perhaps a mini blower of some sort. I have extra stripping if your interested its helped keep my cooly a lot more consistent.

Fia

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
So, I had an idea. I live in Hawaii, where it is regularly over 80 degrees, and I know that can mean beetles. I'm just now setting up a coolidor, got cigars on the way, and I thought "hey, what if I got some of those freezer pacs that people use to pack lunches?" You know the ones that are like a solid block and you put them in a lunch bag?
I was thinking about getting 4 and keeping 2 in the freezer and 2 in the humidor, and switching them out once a day. It is after all a cooler so i figure it should hold in the cool.
What do yall think?
I live in Hawaii too. I went through the same thing. Unless you have a gig like Chad or a winedor, don't drive yourself crazy worrying about temp and just freeze cycle your your cigars. I've had three outbreaks (2 x in cc and 1x in nc) in the past. Since freezing my cigars, I haven't had a problem in over 8 years.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
356   0   0
PM Jwintosh, he did this for years in the summer heat of San Diego. As I rmeber his cooler were set up in a vertical manner so the lid swung open like a door. He attached a couple of terry cloth pockets to the door, to put the ice packs in. the terry cloth caught the condensation, the beads soaked up the extra. He’s never reported an beetle issue, and the smokes I enjoyed from those coolers were just fine.
yep!! in fact, during the hot hot days, i would drape frozen sports wraps on the outside of the cooledor as well. no problems!!

cmhicksusmc

Corporal/USMC
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I live in Hawaii too. I went through the same thing. Unless you have a gig like Chad or a winedor, don't drive yourself crazy worrying about temp and just freeze cycle your your cigars. I've had three outbreaks (2 x in cc and 1x in nc) in the past. Since freezing my cigars, I haven't had a problem in over 8 years.
Hey Jon, Whatcha mean by freeze cycle? Do you mean regularly freeze your cigars to ensure no hatching occurs. I think that would have an effect on the sticks. Clarification would be helpful brother.

Fia

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hey Jon, Whatcha mean by freeze cycle? Do you mean regularly freeze your cigars to ensure no hatching occurs. I think that would have an effect on the sticks. Clarification would be helpful brother.
1 day fridge, 3-4 days freezer (coldest setting), 1 day fridge before your cigars go in the humi.

However of all the brand samples I've gotten in the past two years I didn't freeze any cause it's too many. Haven't had a problem in those coolerdors either. Knock on wood. I think many mfgs are more aggressive in their beetle prevention.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
1 day fridge, 3-4 days freezer (coldest setting), 1 day fridge before your cigars go in the humi.

However of all the brand samples I've gotten in the past two years I didn't freeze any cause it's too many. Haven't had a problem in those coolerdors either. Knock on wood. I think many mfgs are more aggressive in their beetle prevention.
This is comforting! I'm gonna keep a eye out for a used wine cooler and just hope and pray that I'm all good as far as beetles. I'm gonna keep an eye on them just to be sure too. My humi seems to be holding a constant 70% with the 65% beads, not sure why but it seems ok.
On another note, It turns out the seal of my cooler isn't perfect and actually lets in quite a bit of moisture. I just tried lining it with some of the narrowest weather stripping I could get at home depot, and it was too big to allow it to close and seal correctly. I was considering just going around the inside edge where the door should seal with electrical tape a few times, until it seems to seal fully. Sound like an ok idea?

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thats my plan for now on with boxes and such. I'm getting a 6 bottle cuisinart wine cooler for $30 (woot craigslist) and I'm going to convert it and use it to store all my singles that I want immediate access to or want to smoke in the near future.