What's new

KittY litter help

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I've been using kitty litter for years and have had absolutely no issues at all. I had been using PG and floral foam before switching to the kitty litter. All I did was make up pantyhose sacks containing 1 lb each of litter (using in 120qt coolers), added 30ml (about two tablespoons) of water to each and put them in the coolers. I checked the hygrometer every few days and added very small amounts of water at a time until my RH came up to 65% and then just quit adding water.

Since then, once the RH gets down to around 63% I'll add 20-30ml of water and it will come back to 65%. I generally have to add water every three months or so. They're pretty trouble free and don't require much attention at all.

If you are thinking of going the kitty litter route below are some links for the brand I would recommend you getting. They are the clear beads and no other ingredients other than silica sand.

Ultra Pet Crystal Clear Pearls

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
As I understand it, silica beads are silica beads... once they've been "programmed" or seasoned to be 70% or whatever RH you want, that's what they are.
Not true. There is more to it than that. I'm not knocking the Kitty Litter beads, I've used them with some success, but they are in no means the same as HF or other silica storage beads. HF beads are treated to specifically hold the RH at a set-point. That's different than just "seasoning" or "programming" them by keeping them at a specific RH for a period of time.

As to using 50/50 mix in them, I've not heard of doing that and I'm not sure why you would. From my experience they will hold somewhere between 65-68% without really messing with them other than adding distilled water.

In short, they work. They just aren't as accurate or consistent as those specifically designed for this kind of work.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Since then, once the RH gets down to around 63% I'll add 20-30ml of water and it will come back to 65%. I generally have to add water every three months or so. They're pretty trouble free and don't require much attention at all.
This is exactly what I do. Before finally making the switch to Kitty Litter, I ready every internet post, every guide, asked all sorts of questions, the whole nine yards.

Once I went out and bought them I realize that I read WAY too much into all those guides. Sure, if you want to be anal about anything go right ahead. If your tolorances are small, you'll benefit from this (plus it's kind of fun to tweak stuff). But honestly, fill a mesh bag full of beads and place them in your humidor. Monitor every 6-8 hours as your RH drops. Add Distilled Water each time you check (~3-4tbsp) until your RH starts going back up. Stop adding once you get desired RH. Every 3 months or so add a few more tbsps. It's honestly that easy (and cheap!)

EDIT: I just wanted to point out that I don't mean to downplay the Heartfelt beads or any others. I know they are brothers on this forum and their products are more that just "silicone balls." They take care of all that "zeroing" for you. The Kitty litter is just cheap and you do the work yourself.

Last edited:

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
biggie55,

That box o' humidification devices should arrive today. Let us know how it turns out for your setup (pics if you got 'em!)

From USPS.com:

Toaster

Aging Daily
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to take anything away from the retailers. When I looked at the silica options, I dont remember there being lots of retail options... I really dont remember...?

** I WILL ADMIT: IF I HAD TO DO IT FROM START AGAIN, I WOULD ABSOLUTELY BUY FROM A REPUTABLE RETAILER AND NOT MESS WITH SELF SEASONING OR ANY OF THAT STUFF. ** SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL RETAILER AND ONLINE RETAILER ABSOLUTELY **

Not to turn this thread, or hijack or anything, but supporting your local cigar shop and online retailers is very important.

Simplechords

The Bearded Wonder
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found with KL, that you just need to leave it open in the house for a day. Fresh dry litter needs to absorb a bit of moisture first, before it gets to a point of stability. After that point you will only need to lightly mist it when the rh dips ( during the summer likely no water will be needed).