What's new

Large Gap Between Slats of Trays

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Quick question...anyone bought trays from Tampa Humidor? Or Cheap Humidors? These seem to have smaller airflow slots in them. http://www.tampahumidor.com/humidors/spanish-cedar-humidor-tray----(400-625).php http://www.cheaphumidors.com/p_TRAY.html
They're the same trays from both places. I have bought them twice. They're fine, and they fit perfectly in a coleman 28qt cooler.

I actually have four of them I'm not using. If you want them, PM me, and we can work something out.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
you can pick up a plastic mesh screen/fabric at most fabric stores that could easily be tacked or stapled to the bottom if you wanted to try that...

Ive got the same wide gaps in my trays... really havent been a problem at all.... and I typically smoke shorter vitolas... YMMV
As many others have said, as long as you have enough in there to fill side to side, they won't turn and it won't be an issue. If you don't have enough to fill, consider buying/making spacers, or just fill dead space with small empty boxes from a B&M. IIRC, he makes them two ways, one like yours fit better airflow, and one with closer slats that appease folks with your same concerns (but, really, you shouldn't be concerned, they'll be full before you know it)
If you really are concerned, the plastic mesh mdwest mentions is probably your cleanest route. I believe it's for some sort of needlepoint, but I can't remember exactly what it's called...

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
you can pick up a plastic mesh screen/fabric at most fabric stores that could easily be tacked or stapled to the bottom if you wanted to try that...

Ive got the same wide gaps in my trays... really havent been a problem at all.... and I typically smoke shorter vitolas... YMMV
As many others have said, as long as you have enough in there to fill side to side, they won't turn and it won't be an issue. If you don't have enough to fill, consider buying/making spacers, or just fill dead space with small empty boxes from a B&M. IIRC, he makes them two ways, one like yours fit better airflow, and one with closer slats that appease folks with your same concerns (but, really, you shouldn't be concerned, they'll be full before you know it)
If you really are concerned, the plastic mesh mdwest mentions is probably your cleanest route. I believe it's for some sort of needlepoint, but I can't remember exactly what it's called...
Someone else here used the same stuff to make "mesh" cigar coffin covers to house RH media, so if you can find those pictures you're set.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Someone else here used the same stuff to make "mesh" cigar coffin covers to house RH media, so if you can find those pictures you're set.
That was me. It's needlepoint backing, about a buck a sheet at your local craft store:

However, it puts off a bit of a stinky plastic smell so you'll want to treat it like a new cooler and wash it off really well to get rid of that offput.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
That was me. It's needlepoint backing, about a buck a sheet at your local craft store:

However, it puts off a bit of a stinky plastic smell so you'll want to treat it like a new cooler and wash it off really well to get rid of that offput.
Good to know. Thanks.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
404   0   0
I thought the slats looked too far apart on those so I had to take a look at the ones that I got from wineador.com a couple of years ago. Turns out mine look pretty much the same

Once I put the dividers in and filled them up with cigars I forgot what they looked like when I got them. I have been using these for 2+ years and have never had an issue with the cigars falling through. I actually like the idea of wider slats because I'm pretty sure that I get better airflow that way.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I thought the slats looked too far apart on those so I had to take a look at the ones that I got from wineador.com a couple of years ago. Turns out mine look pretty much the same

Once I put the dividers in and filled them up with cigars I forgot what they looked like when I got them. I have been using these for 2+ years and have never had an issue with the cigars falling through. I actually like the idea of wider slats because I'm pretty sure that I get better airflow that way.

Did you get the dividers from Wineador too?

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I got dividers with mine from winedor.com... I specially asked for 2 dividers per tray... they were delivered when the trays were delivered..

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
404   0   0

Did you get the dividers from Wineador too?
Yes...if I recall they were a separate add-on option. Like mdwest I ordered 2 per tray.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Put my trays in tonight. I don't think I'll have to worry too much about sticks falling through. Probably will get some dividers though. Didn't wait a full week of seasoning in the basement but rh went right back up to 66 not long after. Pretty happy with the result. Offsetting the trays to even out rh distribution.