What's new

Larger cabinet humidors...

BigSkySmoke

Lanceros, Cowgirls and Burritos
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
Are there any out there worth the money for a turn key cabinet...or is an Aristocrat really the only one out there that will come ready to go and be preform as expected?

Guessing the lower price points out there, will have you chasing leaks and made out of veneered pressboard.

I keep leaning towards a conversion for the fun of building one and ensuring the seal is good.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I did a thread a few days ago about the troubles with Chinese-made cabinets: http://www.botl.org/threads/fixing-humidity-loss-in-a-small-cabinet-humidor.89048/

I'm sure the handmade cabinets are WAYYYYY better, but it all comes down to price point. Cheaper cabinets *can* be made to hold humidity fairly well, but it takes some work.
But if you have to do the work, you can just buy a regular cabinet off craigslist or new and have a giant setup up for about the same price.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Are there any out there worth the money for a turn key cabinet...or is an Aristocrat really the only one out there that will come ready to go and be preform as expected?

Guessing the lower price points out there, will have you chasing leaks and made out of veneered pressboard.

I keep leaning towards a conversion for the fun of building one and ensuring the seal is good.

Thoughts?
http://www.jcpendergast.com/Humidors.aspx

?

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
I slightly remember you posting pics of it...Ive been looking at Craigslist for over a year. 200+ mile radius and nothing, but 8 gun cabinets are a dime a dozen. It's all just hit and miss on quality of them.
I was on the lookout for 3+ years - Couldnt be happier now, but the wait was long

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a large aristocrat cabnet. I thought I would just set this settings for humidity and temperature and be done with it. But when temperatures change I still have to fiddle with the humidity levels making changings and adjustments. Still glad I got it though. It's a fine piece of workmanship.

BigSkySmoke

Rating - 100%
82   0   0
I have a large aristocrat cabnet. I thought I would just set this settings for humidity and temperature and be done with it. But when temperatures change I still have to fiddle with the humidity levels making changings and adjustments. Still glad I got it though. It's a fine piece of workmanship.
Isn't yours the amazing bookmatched walnut? That one was amazing looking.

The added charge on the TE, is pretty steep and hard to add to a already big purchase.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But if you have to do the work, you can just buy a regular cabinet off craigslist or new and have a giant setup up for about the same price.
Yep, one could do this as well. I guess it depends if you can find something with a glass door, etc, taking into account that you might not even care about that. That being said though, you do have to be careful about keeping a constantly high humidity in something like a clothes dresser. The materials your usual "cheap" furniture are made out of don't necessarily take that well to high humidity. But absolutely this is something to seriously consider, especially if your storage needs are large.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Yep, one could do this as well. I guess it depends if you can find something with a glass door, etc, taking into account that you might not even care about that. That being said though, you do have to be careful about keeping a constantly high humidity in something like a clothes dresser. The materials your usual "cheap" furniture are made out of don't necessarily take that well to high humidity. But absolutely this is something to seriously consider, especially if your storage needs are large.
How well did your non "clothes dresser" humidor hold humidity that you had to do all that work on it? Beautiful and meticulous work it was btw. (apparently, I speak like Yoda.)
Wouldn't be that much more work to do it on a bigger unit.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How well did your non "clothes dresser" humidor hold humidity that you had to do all that work on it? Beautiful and meticulous work it was btw. (apparently, I speak like Yoda.)
Wouldn't be that much more work to do it on a bigger unit.
I didn't mean in terms of holding humidity, I meant that the wood and materials themselves in something like a clothes dresser aren't meant for high humidity holding. I'd be worried about mould, warping, rotting, etc, at least over the long term. Unless of course you lined the entire thing with Spanish cedar boards to make a "box" within the cabinet.

Before doing the work, it sucked at holding RH. Leaked like a sieve. lol

BigSkySmoke

Rating - 100%
82   0   0
I don't plan on converting anything made out of MDF or the like. There are some decent hardwood gun cabinets out there when they pop up. Found a decent place for 1/4 Spanish cedar. If I had all the supplies and a free weekend at home, I could have it mostly done.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
I didn't mean in terms of holding humidity, I meant that the wood and materials themselves in something like a clothes dresser aren't meant for high humidity holding. I'd be worried about mould, warping, rotting, etc, at least over the long term. Unless of course you lined the entire thing with Spanish cedar boards to make a "box" within the cabinet.

Before doing the work, it sucked at holding RH. Leaked like a sieve. lol
You'd have to line it with something