What's new

Mid Century Modern Credenza Humi Build

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Spanish cedar arrived today. Sides haven't been surfaced, so I'm going to have to find a friend with a table saw, maybe my soon to be brother-in-law...

Sat down with the fiancé tonight to discuss the finances. The tool purchases kind of killed me on this, so I'm going to have to completely remove the veneer from the design; it's just way too much money to face, plus the tools to do it correctly so it will last. I will end up putting a little bit more modern twist on it though, which I hope will come out good.

Did a dry fitting of what I have, and the thing is extremely sturdy and almost dead square, with a few tweaks here and there. Tossed a few cigar boxes in to gauge the size, and I must say, this thing is a monster. I'm going to have to empty my desktop and tupperdor, then snag a bunch of boxes from the B&M to fill up the space. It's never TOO big though, right?

If it stops raining tomorrow, I will finish my cuts, and begin staining. Here goes nothing!

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
So day 3 is done. I've got all the pieces cut, and almost all the dowel joints done. It's coming together, but very, very slowly. At this point, I'm still trying find a buddy with a table saw to square the Spanish Cedar. Going to have to do a few touch ups here and there to make everything flush, but nothing too extreme. The dry fit I did tonight was promising.

I must be honest though, if I would have budgeted a little better beforehand, I would have gone for a wineador and gotten a build on it. It would have been cheaper and MUCH less stress. But I'm this far in it now, so I'm not going to give up on it.

I will say though, if this thing fails, I'm pretty sure my fiancé will punch me in the nuts. Here's to a better day tomorrow!

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
So the final post on this...

Unfortunately, about half way in, I had to bail on this. Expenses were getting extremely high (thank goodness for the customer satisfaction guarantee, otherwise, I would be poor at the moment). After calculating what my final trip to the Depot would cost me, I was coming in at a little over $1000, tools and materials included. I couldn't justify it to myself anymore, so I had to return a bunch of stuff (which got me back down to a very manageable number). I'm starting my new job today, so this thing will go to the sidelines until after I finish this gig, get married, and get back from Costa Rica in June. However, once I get back up and running, I'm going to turn it into a bar for my fiance (I don't drink, but she really wanted a bar.)

Here's some advice I have to people who are thinking about trying to build their own cabinet humi.
1. If you don't already own tools, or have access to a woodshop, I cannot recommend doing this unless you have a LOT of disposable income.
2. Dowel jointers are an easy, solid way to go about this. They're hidden, and are pretty forgiving if you screw up a little bit.
3. If you buy spanish cedar online, and don't have a table saw, make sure it is square and S4S. The extra money will save you a lot of headache.
4. Make a spreadsheet before hand of all of your expenses. I'm glad I had a budget that I could number right in front of me. If I hadn't I'm pretty sure that I would be living in this in the backyard.
5. Make sure that it's actually worth the hassle. I wish I would have just bought a wine fridge to begin with. With the money I spent, I could have got one and a nice box of sticks.
6. Post about it so I can live vicariously through you :)

All is not lost though. With the money I got from returning tools, I was able to swing this badboy on CL, and will be able to order drawers and STILL spend less then if I had completed the humi... All's well that ends well. :) Thanks for following guys!!

Wine Fridge.jpg

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Haha, I know, I know.

For that remark though, you got another one coming from me. I will post the tracking number this evening. Nice to know that you can share in the pain of a wife who's not very happy about your cigar "habit."

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Haha, I know, I know.

For that remark though, you got another one coming from me. I will post the tracking number this evening. Nice to know that you can share in the pain of a wife who's not very happy about your cigar "habit."
You think cigars are the only "habit" I have that wife isn't happy about? Nah, there's a list, but the top of the list is the whole breathing habit she's not happy I have...