What's new

My dad did something goofy with my travel humidor ...

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
I have to agree with the above suggestion. Separate the sticks that were in you Travel Humidor from the rest of your cigar population, take the foam out of the humidor and rinse it in a mild baking soda solution (rinse well) and let them air dry and rinse the humidor in mild baking soda solution. As far as the foam on the lid, it too will come out, it's only stuck on with double sided tape (at least mine are on my 24ct and 50ct). You can stick it back on with new tape, or if the original stuff doesn't get wet, you can just stick it back on. Just be very gentle when you remove it. If you need to replace the foam, Ron can probably help there.

P.S. On, and offer your Dad one of the sticks from the humi. If he comments on the smell just in passing let him know why it smells like a burnt cigar.......lol

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I was watching Myth Busters a couple of weeks ago and they hung 2 sweaters in a glass box and filled it with cigarette smoke. After removing the smoke infused sweaters, they spritzed one with a solution of 1 part vodka and 2 parts water, then washed and dried both. The one that did not get the solution still had a smokey smell to it. The one with the solution came out smelling fresh.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I was watching Myth Busters a couple of weeks ago and they hung 2 sweaters in a glass box and filled it with cigarette smoke. After removing the smoke infused sweaters, they spritzed one with a solution of 1 part vodka and 2 parts water, then washed and dried both. The one that did not get the solution still had a smokey smell to it. The one with the solution came out smelling fresh.
What a terrible waste of Vodka. :rofl:

Altercall

I beat you all May '08 :)
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Dude, it's just like my smoking caps. I'll wear my Tat hat or Xikar hat out to the shop and come back smelling horrible. I'll leave it on the porch for a week and then you can't tell it's been anywhere near smoke. It's amazing what fresh air will do.

Coolhand

Resident River Rat
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
My old man drinks Popov vodka, but I'm not sure I'd subject my humidor to that shit.

I once used it to clean a window.

The humi is already smelling better. I smoked one of the M1's and could not really note anything to it. I'm thinking I may've somehow dodged a bullet -- it seems to me a more complex, stronger cigar would cover the burned flavor MORE than something as mild as the M1's ...

Oh well, we'll see. The others are in quarantine. :rofl:

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
the good think is the cigars only mixed for 24 hours but considering the airtight nature of the box the probably reek of smoke. Like every one here has suggested let them air out and the smell should be gone in a week's time. I wouldn't was the otterbox till the smell is gone then rinse out the box and the foam to get rid of any burnt cigar traces that might be on there put the tainted smokes in a tupperware container or some thing else if you toss them in a humi it will pick up the scent of burnt cigars so i suggest keeping them in a container that you don't use for cigar storage since you wouldn't want future stocks to acquire that smell no matter how subtle.

The smokes should be fine to smoke even now the only issue would be the strong odor of burnt cigars you will pick up that might interfere with your enjoyment of the sticks other than that smoke away!