What's new

Need your opinion on this wineador

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Electronic Temperature Controller.

Basically, it monitors the temp and when the ambient temp climbs to a designated point, it turns on the cooling unit. When the temp cools to a designated low point, it cuts power to the cooling unit. It allows the user to set a much finer control over the temp range and when -and to what temps- the unit cools. Most wine coolers have a max temp of 66* which is cooler than most cigars need to be. Adding that extra control is especially helpful in summer in lessening the distance between exterior ambient temp and the desired internal temp.

In addition, it also can let you input a period of time in which the unit won't turn back on (say, five minutes) so that the unit isn't in a constant state of on and off, potentially elongating the unit's life. It also will retain memory of the settings input, so that after a power outage, the unit doesn't reset automatically to 55 degrees.

Rating - 100%
71   0   0
Electronic Temperature Controller.

Basically, it monitors the temp and when the ambient temp climbs to a designated point, it turns on the cooling unit. When the temp cools to a designated low point, it cuts power to the cooling unit. It allows the user to set a much finer control over the temp range and when -and to what temps- the unit cools. Most wine coolers have a max temp of 66* which is cooler than most cigars need to be. Adding that extra control is especially helpful in summer in lessening the distance between exterior ambient temp and the desired internal temp.

In addition, it also can let you input a period of time in which the unit won't turn back on (say, five minutes) so that the unit isn't in a constant state of on and off, potentially elongating the unit's life. It also will retain memory of the settings input, so that after a power outage, the unit doesn't reset automatically to 55 degrees.
I'm curious as to what negative impacts temps <66 would have on a stick as long as proper humidity is maintained?

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I'm curious as to what negative impacts temps <66 would have on a stick as long as proper humidity is maintained?
The issue isn't the temp itself, as long as relative rH is maintained. The issue is that if your house in the summer is 76*, and you're cooling to 66*, that's a ten degree difference, and where condensation issues are likely to kick in. Whereas if you're only cooling 7*, you might avoid that issue all together. Additionally, if you're keeping the temps a few degrees warmer, the cooling unit isn't going to be running as often for as long, which will help you maintain rH more easily.

The long and short is that the smaller the differential between what the ambient temp is and what you want to cool your cigars to, the better all around. The ETC makes this possible.

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Gentlemen, does that ETC you've mentioned previously retrofit to standard wineadors such as the 281?
Yep, any cooler. ETC plugs into the wall, wine cooler plugs into the ETC, probe goes in the Winedor. There are some fully assembled units, or the STC-1000 that me and a few others have used that requires some wiring/assembly. Nothing crazy though.

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
My 280 runs constantly so i may need an ETC. Humidity levels are great and i get that great cedar scent since i unplugged it. Those with an ETC, do you have computer fans too?

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I have two PC fans on a timer, they only come on for 5 minutes, 4 times a day. Just enough to move a littel air on cold days when the cooler never comes on and I don't open the door.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Air n water has a Black Friday deal going on. Add the new air cc-280 to your cart and use their promo code. Makes the $450 unit $337. Code is bf2014

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Anyone have a link to what ETC unit they are using, seems like a lot of options out there and want to make sure I'm looking at the right one. Don't mind if wiring is involved, just want to get the best unit for me. Summers are a killer for me in Cali and could use all the help I can get.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I personally really like that second one. I can understand and agree with wanting one shelves and drawers included. I'm still trying to figure out what is best for my current situation, a wineador, or a coolador. I've got some time to make my mind up, but these threads keep leading me towards wineadors.